Tank Journal Archive

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
lol acrobatic fish youve got there! i hope i dont get this problem further down the line, but if i do il deal with it then, it would really be a last resort for me, are all fish guilty of this or some more than others??

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
Though they ll have to jump about 11cm up from my tank to land on the floor,I havent seen my fish jump at all, mayb its da type of fish i ve got. So goby s n wrasse jumps

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
how do you feel knowing suicide was better than living in your tanks? haha i can say this because it hasnt happened to me yet, il be sick when it does tho, expensive meal for my cat to find on the floor

Damjan

Jan 8, 2013
Melbourne
Keep us updated on the cleaner wrasse. I have tried twice without success. I have tried every sort of food and found, as in your case that they liked the mysis the best. Its a real shame as I love the way that tangs come up to them and lay on their sides and the wrasse bob around looking for parasites. Both times they eat fine and are fine for about the first 3-4 months then rapidly decline. I must be that we can not offer the correct diet for them to survive long term. Hope yoy have better success than a lot of us.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Couple new purchases today, a new frag rack and a nice chalace, really nice purple colour with bright green mouths! also attatched the hammer to the large rock, thats why its hating life in the photo! Had a hard time doing this for the first time, i used sellys aqua knead it? Set solid but took its sweet arse time!
20130209_195714.jpg
20130209_195626.jpg
20130209_195615.jpg

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Beautiful looking chalice! Won't take long to fill the frag rack, hard bit is picking frags you don't want :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
@MichaelBinns i have found placing the hammers upright keeps them happyer, that bottom head will most likely die slowly as it wont get much light on that angle, (i often get die off on the heads that are shadowed like that) also faceing that way how are they going for light? id glue it on the otherside :)

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
It would be hard for me to get the hammers positioned upright on that rock tho, if i was to move it to the other side and had to keep doing thatbwith corals it would be bare on that side? I assumed it would be ok there as hammers dont need that much light? @MTG

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
cant wait to fill my frag rack :p @chimaera
Glad you finally decided which one! haha.

That chalice looks awesome, glad you picked it up. Works well in that spot as you described too.

For placing corals, putty is good ... but make sure you use lots of coral glue too on both sides (putty-rock and putty-coral).

I'll let @MTG talk to you about hammers, he's the right man for that conversation!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
It would be hard for me to get the hammers positioned upright on that rock tho, if i was to move it to the other side and had to keep doing thatbwith corals it would be bare on that side? I assumed it would be ok there as hammers dont need that much light? @MTG
hammers arnt that low light they do need a decent amount of direct light to grow and colour up, you dont have to glue they on the base you can glue from the side of the hammers to keep their heads upright or atleast angled towards the light. but yes that left hand side will be a little bare due to it being shaded. maybe you could get away with some basic hammers there and see if they survive but my guess is in a few months they will start shrinking

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Zoas might be alright if they get enough light, you don't want anything there anyway because you won't see it to much once you have corals layered at the front imo,