Tank Journal Archive

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
@Henry G thanks mate, i changed around the hammer after @MTG advice (only have to look at his hammers to know you dont not take his word when it comes to them lol) il be uploading a better photo when everything looks a little happier!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Lol nothing wrong with a little rock, see how it turns out, it will allways be hard to get corals to like a structure of that shape due to the top corals shading the ones underneath, it's all trial and error realy to see witch ones suit

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
reefuge.jpg

Happy Valentines day? #foreveralone

so i decided to re-arange my rockwork...... again.
i figured my overflow isnt that bad looking and i dont mind seeing it aslong as i keep it clean?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think it looks better actually, less cramped more space. It will be a challenge to keep that overflow clean ... how about sticking some GSP to it to grow over it and make it a feature?

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
its supprisingly easy to clean! i pull out the return and put a pipe brush through it once or twice, then i have modded a coat hanger and a sponge that fits perfectly into the overflow, with a couple of wipes its spotless, it all depends how long i keep it up for haha, but im quite OCD so i dont think il have a problem there :P
i like the idea of GSP tho, i deffinatly agrea it either has to be virtually invisible or made a feature out of!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Sadly when the overflow gets growth on it, it will stand out, that's the issue in having with my sisters one atm! What about gluing rock around it and turn it into the tall bommie?

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Sadly when the overflow gets growth on it, it will stand out, that's the issue in having with my sisters one atm! What about gluing rock around it and turn it into the tall bommie?
yeah ive thought about this option too, i just dont like how far forward the overflow sits, once rock is glued it would be too close to the front and make the tank look smaller, having the bommie right at the back on the right side has made the tank look alot more open, really visable in person not sure about in the photo, hmmm. what growth are you getting on yours? just the brown gunk?

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
plus having the bommie on the left makes the tank only visable from the front as i cant get the rock to wrap around the overflow due to being so close to the side of the tank too, and thats the side i view it most from when im laid in bed watching tv lol, its a really awkward tank to scape the more i thnk about it

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Yes it is a hard shape to scape for, I have a shoe horse style design on my sisters, gets covered in green and pink coralline and other algae

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Nice tank mate, so much potential there.
In the beginning you mentioned about having something commanding attention, how about trying your rock structure placed in the centre. Then the focal point will be this central bommie. Not only is the light source located above . A rock wall does not do it for me anymore ( my personal opinion mate )
You see the great tanks like @MTG and others use the space of the tank with imagination and follow a pattern known as " the golden ratio "
It's to do with creating harmony for the eye.
Even try two bommies , one more powerfull than the other, the larger bommie being two thirds bigger than the smaller.
Best regards :)

Reactions: MTG

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
hey @slin1977 thanks for taking a look at my TJ, i agree with what you say, the tank is definatly missing abit of wow factor, i am constantly staring at it trying to think of a way to improve the scape, every time i have a play around with the rocks it seems to get a little bit better than the previous scape, what im thinking of doing is spending a whole heap of money on dry rock, all different shapes and sizes, and try build one single bommie that will sit in the centre of the tank that is really interesting to look at with 5 shelves/arm looking bits lol extending in different directions at different depths in the tank, although placing it right in the centre does go against the golden ratio, i think by having the shelves branch off in all directions at different heights it will still add a sense of depth to the tank. im very OCD when it comes to things like aquascaping and i know when something looks good and when somethings just "ok" i wont be happy until this tank is one of the stand out nano tanks on the forum, it might just take me a while through trial and error to find whats missing!

p.s after looking at your TJ yesterday i got to thinking about changing to black substrate after seeing how much the corals pop against it!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hey mate, seen your TJ since it was created.
Take your time and set it up just how you want it. Avoid collecting everything that catches your eye, that's where having a concept and plan comes in. Frags are a great way to have tank hardened coral that thrive. My opinion is that a bacteria driven tank is the best way forward, look at my the first pages of my tank. I had coral and fish in on day 11- unheard of under normal circumstances and my 20 kg base rock was seeded by a small piece of live rock of say 500 g.

saint

Jan 23, 2012
Firstly great looking tank so far! and i feel your pain about scaping! im abit OCD too when it comes to scapes, when i was into FW i think i changed my iwagumi tanks scape 100 times and all it was is a few rocks lol

I honestly liked the first scape with the rock hiding the overflow, i agree with chim that this scape gives more free room but i also agree with MTG which that once that overflow starts growing coalline will be really hard to keep clean which may i also say is a great looking overflow

if you do keep this scape will you move the plating chalice to the left hand side of the rock or keep it where it is?

Oh also if your after some dry base rock can i suggest you look at reefdirect, i only suggest it because you said you might try a few diffent scapes and the thing i like about his dry rock is that if your not happy how one rock looks you give it a wack with a hammer and you have more rocks lol and with abit of glue you can make the scape how you want it to look

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
some nice rock formations thanks for that :)
Hey mate, seen your TJ since it was created.
Take your time and set it up just how you want it. Avoid collecting everything that catches your eye, that's where having a concept and plan comes in. Frags are a great way to have tank hardened coral that thrive. My opinion is that a bacteria driven tank is the best way forward, look at my the first pages of my tank. I had coral and fish in on day 11- unheard of under normal circumstances and my 20 kg base rock was seeded by a small piece of live rock of say 500 g.
so you would reccomend picking up mainly frags and letting the tank grow out over time? i currently have all base rock and only had a tiny piece of LR that was taken out once my cycle was finished, fish and corals were added on day 13 once there was no amonia and nitrite present.
Firstly great looking tank so far! and i feel your pain about scaping! im abit OCD too when it comes to scapes, when i was into FW i think i changed my iwagumi tanks scape 100 times and all it was is a few rocks lol

I honestly liked the first scape with the rock hiding the overflow, i agree with chim that this scape gives more free room but i also agree with MTG which that once that overflow starts growing coalline will be really hard to keep clean which may i also say is a great looking overflow

if you do keep this scape will you move the plating chalice to the left hand side of the rock or keep it where it is?

Oh also if your after some dry base rock can i suggest you look at reefdirect, i only suggest it because you said you might try a few diffent scapes and the thing i like about his dry rock is that if your not happy how one rock looks you give it a wack with a hammer and you have more rocks lol and with abit of glue you can make the scape how you want it to look
yeah the first scape was good in that it hid the over flow but it made the tank look so small in person, as for the chalice, this probably wont be the final scape so the chalice wil probably stay where it is for now until i get the rockwork i want made up.
thanks for the advice on the base rock ive been looking at places to buy it in bulk! i prefer base rock to LR just because you can work with it for as long as you want and like you say smash it up or what ever!