Tank Journal Archive

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
a lot of brown/red film is bacteria thats sensitive to high flow... so in flow flow it thrives. Maybe its a waterflow issue?
That was exactly what I was thinking. I've increased the flow on the MP10 and turned the skimmer up, it looks like it's getting better. It's just going to take time for the snails to clean up the mess.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I like reef crest too - sometimes if I have turned it off it defaults to that rather than nutrient.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
The MP10 at the moment is on the back wall, I'm not sure that this is the best placement for it.

Would NEM work more efficiently if I had it on the right side pushing water towards the overflow box?

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
There's been a heap of clicking over the last two days after lights out, I think there's a pistol or mantis lurking in the tank. One of my turbo snails is dead.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
If the flow was more towards overflow box I think the waste might go through it a bit quicker but not sure if it would be by a huge amount.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
If the flow was more towards overflow box I think the waste might go through it a bit quicker but not sure if it would be by a huge amount.
I'll try moving it tonight, I think the live rock is diffusing most of the flow.

Is it normal for the LEDs on the Vortech controller to be cycling left to right in NEM?

deediro

Jan 19, 2013
Roxburgh Park
I just got hold of the glass holes nano overflow as well - what size plumbing did you use?

I'm trying to understand what I need to fit the 90 deg elbow that comes out of the over flow and also for the 1/2 inch loc line return? Cheers!

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I just got hold of the glass holes nano overflow as well - what size plumbing did you use?

I'm trying to understand what I need to fit the 90 deg elbow that comes out of the over flow and also for the 1/2 inch loc line return? Cheers!
The overflow elbow will suit standard 25mm PVC, and the return takes 13mm PVC. Essentially the pipe sizes you can buy from Bunnings are actually just metric equivalent sizes.

deediro

Jan 19, 2013
Roxburgh Park
Perfect found it all - 25mm for out and 15mm for in. Couldn't find 13mm but the 15mm seems snug enough - it's currently curing so I'll test tomorrow and hope all is well. Thanks!

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I tried my hand at fragging yesterday, splitting up the original morph rock. Somehow I managed to cut a small pistol shrimp in half which was pretty upsetting.

I've also purchased a pair of clowns, so they're happily swimming around. It's amazing how the GCG comes out and swims around now that there are other fish competing for his food.

The next step for me is to glue the morph frags to the main rock, and look at purchasing a purple tipped BTA.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I find it a bit daunting to frag things but getting used to it a bit more :).

My little yellow goby is starting to mix it with the big boys for food although he gets a little nudge from the clowns now and again he is holding his own.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I find it a bit daunting to frag things but getting used to it a bit more :).

My little yellow goby is starting to mix it with the big boys for food although he gets a little nudge from the clowns now and again he is holding his own.
I was pretty freaked out when I made my first cuts, I think morphs are very forgiving. Here's my fragging setup :)

ai893.photobucket.com_albums_ac134_andre_luck7_IMG_0496_zps4b1dbe89.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
If you get into fragging, look into a scalpel ... much easier to handle and more forgiving when fragging zoas etc.

Did you actually slide the morphs, or just break the rock up with them on?

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
If you get into fragging, look into a scalpel ... much easier to handle and more forgiving when fragging zoas etc.

Did you actually slide the morphs, or just break the rock up with them on?
I use the secateurs to cut the rock up, into a small chunk with the morph attached, then slice the morph through the middle. Then I made a second pass with the secateurs to split the rock in two, with half a morph on either side.

The blade I used to make the cuts is the same that I use to shave; where can you buy scalpels from? Arts and craft stores?