Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Smartest way to frag morphs, no hassle getting them to reattach to the rock etc.

I sell the propagation kit which includes a scalpel, bone cutters etc ... or you can just buy the scalpel and various attachments from K&J on its own.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
A small update, I managed to glue most of the morph frags to the rock. However it's pretty clear that they don't like where they are and have proceeded to detach themselves from the small piece of rock they were originally sitting on.

I'm wondering if I need to reduce the flow in order to get the mushrooms to stay put, but I'm paranoid that it's going to be diatom city if I turn down the MP10.

Strangely enough, the substrate in my fuge which has very little flow has no problems with algae or diatoms.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yeah morphs will sometimes detach and find their way to a different spot. In a small tank they could disappear, only for you to spot them growing somewhere in 6 months.

Depends I guess whether you want them in that one specific spot, or don't mind them spreading.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Most of my morphs stay on the rock but there is the odd radical that always wants to travel the world before settling down.........................or maybe just doesn't like the neighbors loud parties.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Depends I guess whether you want them in that one specific spot, or don't mind them spreading.
I don't mind them spreading, but it's going to be some time before they've covered the rock.

I'm under the impression that I don't have enough of a CUC in my DT to keep my substrate clean and turned over.

At the moment I have 6 nassarius snails, and maybe three turbo snails. There's a few bristle worms around however. I haven't seen any brittle stars yet.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I don't mind them spreading, but it's going to be some time before they've covered the rock.

I'm under the impression that I don't have enough of a CUC in my DT to keep my substrate clean and turned over.

At the moment I have 6 nassarius snails, and maybe three turbo snails. There's a few bristle worms around however. I haven't seen any brittle stars yet.
That's more of a cuc than I have! For sand cleaning that is. I have 1x Nass and 1x Stromb. Though ordered a few more nass from the group buy.

The rest of my cuc is
- shitload of stomatella
- shitload of bristle worms
- 1 trochus
- handful of turbos
- A few baby cucumbers
- a few bristle stars dotted around

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Also I meant to ask - where did you get your tank, what brand is it? Only just realised it's almost identical to mine (which was a 'Yi Ding').

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Also I meant to ask - where did you get your tank, what brand is it? Only just realised it's almost identical to mine (which was a 'Yi Ding').
I had my tank custom made by a LFS, same with the sump. I couldn't find one of those Yi Ding branded tanks out west.

I have one Stomatella, she's grown heaps since I first noticed her. My turbos are actually Trochus snails.

I think I need to buy some live sand from someone's sump or DT and strain out the critters.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I'm having a similar problem at the moment so getting some nassarius as well.
I'm hesitant to add more snails, if I add more snails than there is food to feed them, there's going to be dead snails.

I think at the heart of it is my lack of live rock in the DT.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I'll put one up this weekend, not a great deal has changed. A couple of morphs have found their place but I don't think the clowns are doing too well.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Just had a thought, if your worried about a lack of food for snails then get some nori and put some on a bit of rock with a rubber band to hold then put it on the sand or on the sand near the glass. The snails should find it and have a munch on it.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I came home last night to find the smaller clown on it's side in the corner of the aquarium. It didn't survive the night. The larger clown has gotten substantially worse, but I think he's got a better chance of recovery than the smaller one did.

The Green Clown Goby is still eating and doing his thing, doesn't appear to be showing any similar symptoms. I spoke to the LFS about it, and they had a cottonmouth issue with their last batch of clowns so they were happy to give me a credit.

Everything else is going fine, no real updates on the scape though as I haven't bought any more coral. I do have a Ric and some zoas pending with @Loony's Frags, I just need to wait for the weather to be more favourable.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I've had a pretty terrible run lately; the other clown died and the corals I had sent didn't survive the postal service. I'm hoping they come back from the dead but I don't think it's going to happen.

IMG_0513.JPG

The one on the right is the Ricordea, the left are zoas.

Here's a Ric I bought from Veba's:
IMG_0515.JPG

and some zoas that I picked up:
IMG_0510.JPG

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Those zoas in the last pic are nice!

Shame about the ones that were shipped ... the ric has a chance, they are amazingly hardy and can come back from almost nothing, but the zoas look done for. Then again you never know.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
That sucks big time, wrong time of the year I think for transport of marines (and fw ). If your package is last to be delivered the poor things sit in a hot van for hours on end even with express post at times.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Leave the zoas alone for a couple of weeks - there are still polyps on it, so it's got a fighting chance. Any ideas as to how long before the shop that held them for you took between receiving them and getting them into water? I must have a look tonight at the manifest and see how long AusPost took to get those over there incase they managed to drag out delivery for an extra day or something typically as stupid.

The ric should regrow as well if your tank conditions are good - it comes from stock that could survive a nuclear holocaust. Will take a little while based on what's left of it, but not that long ago it was a piece of tissue smaller than that!

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
@DavidS I'm 100% sure that they took them out of the packaging and put it in their frag tank as soon as they arrived. I'll see what happens with them, I think the Ric is looking better today, and if it can grow from a foot it should be able to grow from what's left.

I'll post a photo in a week or so to see if there is any measurable progress.

As they say, nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.