Tank Journal Archive

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Well the good news is that the ric foot is growing back, albeit slowly. I bought two Rainfordi gobies on the weekend, they were a little skinny when I bought them. I also picked up a strombus.

Today I found that one of the gobies is missing, he couldn't have jumped because I've checked all around the tank and I doubt he's died because there would be a corpse. There's no way he could have found his way into the sump, or have been shredded in the MP10.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Are the gobies eating? Rainfordi are notoriously hard to get eating prepared foods ... but beautiful fish if you do manage to.

It could just be hiding - small fish can hide in the smallest of rock cracks for days on end and still be fine. Hopefully that is the case.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
One of the Rainfordi did eat when he was at the LFS, and both of them snapped up some frozen brine shrimp on Sunday. I'll see if it appears tomorrow morning, I noticed they were both up when I left for work this morning.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Everything appears to be going swelly with the tank,the two rainfordi have settled in and are both eating. I've picked up some pretty awesome looking zoas from the LFS, a nice yellow and green.

I'm getting really pissed off with the macro in my display tank and sump, I'm considering shutting the tank down and drying off the rock to ensure the macro dies.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Not sure on the best way to get rid of macro, I never got any in the dt and still struggle for a good crop in the sump where I want it.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Not sure on the best way to get rid of macro, I never got any in the dt and still struggle for a good crop in the sump where I want it.
Mine grows really well in the sump under a PAR30 on a reverse photoperiod. Apparently urchins, rabbitfish and tangs will eat macro; but I don't think it's a sure fix.

I'm going to cycle a 30cm cube I have lying around and put the PAR30 on it with some fresh live rock from the LFS. I'll put in all my corals and the three fish that I have and then drain the entire setup.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I get it, particularly caulerpa growing inbetween my zoas. I just pick it off now and then with a pair of tweezers ... slight pain in the ass but not a major hassle.

If I started again, I would go dry rock and chaeto - that way only a small risk of unwanted algae being introduced on coral purchased.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I get it, particularly caulerpa growing inbetween my zoas. I just pick it off now and then with a pair of tweezers ... slight pain in the ass but not a major hassle.

If I started again, I would go dry rock and chaeto - that way only a small risk of unwanted algae being introduced on coral purchased.
This is exactly what I'm looking at doing now. I know I'm going to get incredibly frustrated with it later on, so I think I'll nip it in the bud now rather than later. Once that chaeto arrives in the mail with my replacement PAR30, I'll begin removing coral from my DT and putting them into my 30cm cube.

I picked up some neat looking zoas on the weekend, yellow mouth and frills the outer ring is green:

ai893.photobucket.com_albums_ac134_andre_luck7_IMG_0535_zpsf8719da5.jpg

I've got into the habit of fragging anything I bring into the tank, the Aquatic Culture Coral Propagation Kit from @naqua makes it too easy.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Those are some nice zoas!! Hopefully that package arrives tomorrow for you.
The package arrived earlier this afternoon. When the delivery guy handed me the package I could feel the heat coming off it. The chaeto doesn't look too good, like a greeny brown soup.

Hopefully at least a small amount survives.

naqua

Sep 22, 2012
Sandringham
The package arrived earlier this afternoon. When the delivery guy handed me the package I could feel the heat coming off it. The chaeto doesn't look too good, like a greeny brown soup.

Hopefully at least a small amount survives.
Damn. Let me send you some more, my stupid fault for posting over the Easter weekend. Will get it in the post for you Monday or Tuesday.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Over the last couple of weeks I've become seriously frustrated with this tank. It isn't where I want it to be, and I figure I may as well get it sort now rather than put it off.

All the frags and corals have been moved to the sump, the sump has been stripped of all Caulerpa brachypus. I'm pretty sure that this caused the death of my two Rainfordi gobies. The top tank is no longer lit, as I'm considering whether it's worthwhile performing an indefinite blackout to kill everything on it, or just removing it from the tank and letting it dry out.

I'm still not sure where I'm going with my tank layout and coral selection. It's annoying the crap out of me.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Is it just the Brachypus getting you down? Or do you have other issues going on?
I think I've well and truly got the brachypus sorted, it's the peltata that's annoying me. In hindsight I really should have gone with base rock or dead rock and seeded it.

What I'm trying to figure out is what I want my tank to look like and how I'm going to get to that point.

I might just spend the next couple of nights crawling through nano-reef journals to find inspiration.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Is there any coral left in the DT? Wondering if your best bet is to take that rock out (which is a great shape), dry it, bathe it etc, then start again?