Reef Discussion

Anton

Jul 30, 2013
personally i dont use any carbon in my tanks. if i was to use any carbon it would probly be the seachem sea gel which reduces phosphates and polishes the water which will reduce algie growth

Last edited:

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Just added API carbon pouch, yesterday. Wow big change today from what i thought what was a clear clarity tank.

Today, mirror finish at every angle that i look at the tank.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
What brand do you guys reckon is cost effective? So a bang for buck in terms of quality and quantity? Also...how much at a time should be used? I know you should change it every 3-4 weeks..

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I use RowaCarbon and have been happy with the results.

I generally get 3 "batches" out of a 1000ml container. I have it sitting in a filter sock which is clamped to the sump near the return pump. Every 2 weeks I massage the back. After 3 massages (6 weeks) I replace it.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
I use RowaCarbon and have been happy with the results.

I generally get 3 "batches" out of a 1000ml container. I have it sitting in a filter sock which is clamped to the sump near the return pump. Every 2 weeks I massage the back. After 3 massages (6 weeks) I replace it.
Did someone say massage? :rolleyes

aaron47

Sep 9, 2013
I have herd activated carbon causes lateral line diease and hole in the head disease ... i run activated carbon in a two little fish reactor but i also have mineral mud to stop and remove the possibility of the two formentioned problems any thoughts as i have only just found this out myself

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
personally i dont use any carbon in my tanks. if i was to use any carbon it would probly be the seachem sea gel which reduces phosphates and polishes the water which will reduce algie growth
the aluminum oxide in that worries me vs the alternative (GFO), better safe than sorry, I hope :-/

From Randy Holmes-Farley - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/7/chemistry
Aluminum is an ion that does not get much attention, and has no clear biological use in aquaria. It can, however, have an impact on aquarium organisms if elevated sufficiently over natural levels. Phosguard has been shown to release aluminum to artificial seawater. Further, it appears that the release of aluminum could be the cause of the effects that some folks have seen in aquaria when using aluminum-based phosphate and silicate absorbing materials. However, only a larger study could definitively demonstrate that to be the case. Such biological effects have not been widely reported for the iron-based phosphate removers (e.g., Rowaphos and Salifert’s Phosphate Killer). Consequently, if you are interested in using phosphate-absorbing media, those latter types might be a better choice.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
How much carbon should I use in my tank passively? Its 180 litres or so. I have found conflicting amounts online so far from 1/2 cup to 1 cup to 'as much as you like'.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
You certainly notice clearer crisp water, when using it. I found my best results running the reactor 2 hours /day the carbon lasts longer.

Lately I have phased it out of all my tanks, I feel its perhaps removing as much good as it is the bad. Its not selective in what it does and does not remove. Sure the water in not so crisp, but I am noticing increased growth in sponges clams etc.

One animals waste is another's dinner, I am using a more holistic approach sponges, micro fauna, accidians etc.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Since xmas i have been using the Zeo snow to my tanks, the snow is good at removing the yellowing compounds. Tanks look like there were while I was using the carbon 2 meters long clear from yellow color viewing through the end panels along the full length of the DT.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I would not use carbon on an SPS tank although I am by no means a SPS guru, i have no conclusive evidendce however feel when i lost SPS it seemed to align with a carbon change and happened more than twice.

Ben S

Apr 9, 2013
Point Cook
The benefit of running Carbon is that it removes the yellowing in the water, whilst also improve water clarity which allows better light penetration for the corals.
It's also useful for removing toxins from softies etc. It's benefit far outweigh the negatives in my eyes. However as is usually the case in this game, little is better than a lot and using too much carbon can have negative effects.

Ben

How do you mean? Assuming you're using a good quality carbon that isn't dumping phosphates into your system, how does volume matter? Carbon with just filter out what carbon filters out I would have thought, but like most things I'm happy to learn something new.

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Does using carbon during a cycle, affect the process. Using the redsea mature pro plan for the cycling, and just wondered ... Thanks

Last edited:
Carbon won't hurt the cycle. :)

No need to add anything to speed up the cycle. Chemists have demonstrated that anything you can buy in a bottle can NOT add good bacteria to the tank, simply by virtue of the fact that bacteria (in thriving conditions) will multiply at such an exponential rate that if it were possible to keep them in a bottle, the bottle would explode.

As my mate's son (biologist) put it " anything you can put in from a bottle to assist cycling, equates to dosing with bottled pollution - and why would you add pollution?" In his view you may as well just drop a small piece of prawn or fish in there if you are determined to pollute your tank.

It comes back to balance, not how fast you can create organics for bacteria to consume. Good article by Eric Bourneman on the cycle - CLICK HERE.