Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Umm, Mate, It's been like 14 hours man! how long do your days go for?? :p
Mate we are on Island time here on Aitutaki, nothing happens quickly.... The game boats motor has been seized for two months, I WANT TO GO FISHING! who knows when the spare parts will arrive :(
Oh , BTW only got a photo of the new fish eye, he is camera shy ;)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Nils what's ur Wrasse like?
Well I have six line wrasse, he is a bossy creature, but cool too, he comes up to the glass and interacts with me.
Personally I wish I had a Mystery Wrasse but at $200 each I am happy with my $35 six line.
A wrasse dedicated tank would be awesome, especially with fairy wrasse thrown in the mix.
However not all wrasse are compatible, for instance a mystery wrasse would eventually kill a six line I believe.

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Haha, fe is it true they spit out slime or something to make a cocoon at night? If you put ur hand in would he o and try to bite? I'm sick if my clowns doin that lol.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Mate we are on Island time here on Aitutaki, nothing happens quickly.... The game boats motor has been seized for two months, I WANT TO GO FISHING! who knows when the spare parts will arrive :(
Oh , BTW only got a photo of the new fish eye, he is camera shy ;)

Funny, you made me Google "Aitutaki"

It's a real place! Out in the middle of the Pacific would be nice. Once I clean up Powerball this week we might come buy one of those small islands hahaha.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
So this tank has seen more lighting experiments than Ivan Pavlov and his dogs back in 1927.
Over the course of a year and a half and more I've tried many combinations of light. I've tried both Cree and Polar versions of illumagic, I've chased the pinks and reds that other commercial led fixtures struggle with.
I've bleached coral, browned out coral, coloured up coral- I thought I would finally share with you my thoughts on the lighting subject that everyone is so keen about. So sit back and relax while I share my thoughts and observations about LED lighting. Please feel free to chime in too.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
watching this one.......................lights, camera. ACTION
Um- where's the popcorn??

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
LED have been around for as long as I can remember, my grandfather and I would tinker in his shed with diodes, resistors and capacitors we made all kinds of projects together. Thinking back they were great little projects from crystal radios to alarm systems- we played with car starter coils and even attached one to the garage door handle to give a burgler the shock of his life. Lol, my grandfather booby trapped himself and tried to open the charged garage door handle. Once bitten twice shy.
The first LED that were found in the hobby came in the form mood light , some hobbiests used them as moon lights to help coax fish to breed.
These LED were usually under one watt and were not used as a main light source.
It was not until some hobbiests started experimenting using high power LED in their own DIY set ups did manufacturers realise the potential market for LED in aquariums.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Hey Nils how does the coral beauty go with your corals nip on them much? Im guessing if it is well fed they wont bother what do you feed yours? As vp said I just have to be prepared to dig it out if it goes rouge on corals 50/50 chance I guess but keen to here your advice no the less :cool:

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hey Nils how does the coral beauty go with your corals nip on them much? Im guessing if it is well fed they wont bother what do you feed yours? As vp said I just have to be prepared to dig it out if it goes rouge on corals 50/50 chance I guess but keen to here your advice no the less :cool:
The coral beauty has to be my favourite dwarf angel- there are your dream angel that you really want such as Potters , African Flamebacks etc ( these are the coral nippers )
However for dwarfs , I have kept only 3 - Flame, Heraldi, and Coral beauty.
All males, all got along with each other , non nipped coral.
My current Coral Beauty is a stunner, without a doubt the best I've seen. He was about the size of a 50 cent piece size when I got him about 3 years ago. He eats Spectrum pellets as do all my fish.
In my opinion I think that small young fish taken off the reef dont develop a taste for coral. In my experience it is the mature angels that enjoy a nip here or there. Possibly due to having ocean experience, I don't know.
The coral beauty should have place in your aquarium @Sarg . I haven't cared to put any more dwarf angels into my tank as for me the coral beauty is my favourite.

Never seen him nip any coral- ever!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Early LED set ups were simply T8 housings with their guts removed.
Come to think of it there are still some aquarium lighting manufacturers keeping up this tradition.

Attachments

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
The early LED aquarium lights were made with multiple 1 watt diodes. Eco lamps and BSLed used 1 watt diodes in their fixtures , around this time Maxspect came to being known for their Aquarium lights offering Cree and Bridgelux LED in their units. Cree developed a great name for themselves with unmatched quality diodes that produced more lumens per watt electricity consumed. The Cree diodes used back then were called Cree XP-C . They were amazingly bright for the day giving aquarium lighting manufacturers a good reputation. With a whopping 100 lumens when driven at 350mA
They were generally driven at 350mA.