Tank Journal Archive

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
well the PC is now sorted :) got away with a 750w PSU and a Radeon HD6870 vid card, best $$ i've spent on being able to play one game on the PC ever ... Anyone up for The Old Republic?? What a great game :) Im so taken with my new build I am thinking the PS3 may actually go and i'll just game on the PC from now on ..

Today in Tank news, the weather in the tank hit a balmy 28c, still no chiller in sight.Still have a steady growth of hair algae due to the cycle going on and have just started my NO3P0x dosing regime.

Onto Skimmer news, anyone ever used a Tunze 9410? it only uses 11w and does up to a 1000ltr tank, way more than my tank but you cant overskim right? well I think you could if you had a Vertex or BK skimmer but I digress. I am really thinking of ditching the Bubble Magus and it's eheim power pump and running a Tunze; reviews seem quite positive, only thing I dont like so far is no drain hole in the skimmer cup, thats a must for me, cause I hate cleaning that stinky poo hole of a cup every other day.

So I covered the weir but to my dismay, when I said 3mm black acrylic, I dont think I made myself clear enough, as they gave me black clear acrylic! you can still see into the weir, oh well, it will do until I get more cut at some stage, or for those that know me, it wont happen at all :) it will I promise, just not today ;)

Dosing unit is becoming too hard, Vertex are releasing the libra any day (or was that year?) now ... I really want to see the pricing on these puppies as do alot of people, I see myself getting a Kamoer though as the cool gang factor the vertex has would wear off eventually.

Well thats it for me; cant play Star Wars tonight so im hear, keeping myself entertained.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Oh man, that sux about the acrylic. I may come knocking on your door with some solid black stuff because there's no way you'll replace it :p.

As you know, I have the Tunze 9420 skimmer, come over and have a muck around with it if you want.

Any chance of a few pics of the filth :cool:.

Cheers,
Jamie.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
yeah i'll take some over the weekend :)

well, I am about to order my first lot of fish, nothing serious, just 3 yellow tangs and possibly a Cirripectes stigmaticus (indian ember blenny) :) oh and some redliners as well as some snails etc.

Ad's dropped off some xenia to me yesterday, rubberbanded it to a rock and dropped it in. I added this for a bit of nutrient export, and it does look really nice!

Still have a bit of fuzz in the tank but it's not growing anymore and is receding so I'm good to go. I prefer to do fish first then corals as I like to know what my bioload will be fish wise before I drop corals in. Other people prefer to do it the other way, which is fine as well it's whatever works for you :)

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
here is an updated pic of the aquascape. I took a few rocks away from the middle and put them in the sump as I wanted a more 'clean' look on the bommies.

ai12.photobucket.com_albums_a206_aaron_2233_tankfts.jpg

As for updates, hair algae is slowly going away. Adding this week:

2 x Redline Shrimps
12 x Green Chromis - I went with these instead of Puple Chromis due to the fact they just look alot cooler than the purples.

Still waiting to hear back from someone on the 3 x Yellow tangs and the Ember Blenny, no idea if I will be getting these this week.

Thanks to Ad's for the xenia frag, they are doing OK, prob would be doing better if I didn't stick them down with an elastic band :)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
So are we organising a collection to fix up your wier?

Xenia is like that KiNkY girl you pick up at northies, latex and pain in the begining will only make it harder to get rid of once you are bored with her :)

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
hahahaha there is nothing wrong with the opaque black weir cover ;) you wont even see it in a few months time when it's all alage'd up ;)

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
and I did my first water change on the weekend, did 120ltrs and will prob maintain this every fortnight. Hopefully the weather stays clear this week so I can go and collect some NSW!!!

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
OK - was a bit clumpy but a powerhead fixed that!!

I dumped too much in first go and it clouded up, note to self, add it in increments not 4kg at a time ;)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Is it a wet mix of is it just clumpy? mine is like a block of cement. I slammed it on the ground a few times and nearly broke my foot

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Tank is looking good Az, I like the open scape too, but you knew I'd say that :).

On the salt, yep, mine are like blocks of cement too. It doesn't seem to mix really clear either, a fair bit of sediment flying around. Anyway, all good, it still tastes salty so it can't be all bad ;).

Lookin forward to seein' the new arrivals mate, will be very cool :cool:.

Cheers,
Jamie.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Mine is going great. Tumbling away!

Which reactor are you using? Did you soak the pellets in RO before using them? Do you have enough flow going through the reactor?

Jarryd

Dec 31, 2011
Perth
I'm using the reef octopus 110 reactor with about 350mls of biospheres also from reef octopus. I ran them though RO water for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Thats when i saw they weren't tumbling all that well because i can see both sides of the reactor. Pretty sure the pump is 1200lph which is JUST short of what they recommend i think? None of them are clumping, only initially when they had bubble attached to them.

Perhaps i do need more flow?

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
So here is my TJ update. Fish have been added :)

12 x Green Chromis
3 x Yellow Tangs
1 x Ember Blenny
1 x White Tiger Goby

The chromis settled well, eating out of my hand and they took to NLS straight away; they are also eating SeaVeggies when the tangs are not munching down on it. The Tangs were a little thin due to being straight out of quarrantine so they need to be fed heavy for the next few weeks to get some weight on them.

The Goby is a shy little creature, I knew this when I got it, but they are sooo cool so I'm happy looking at it under moonlights :)

Jarryd - here is the vid of my pellets as requested:

And here is a walk around the tank :)

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Tank looks amazing Aaron. really great seeing it person. And all the fish really brings it to life! Loved the little tangs. How are they going, have you managed to fatten them up at all.?