Reef Discussion

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Have been eyeing off the JNS alpha 2 just this week. The videos and reviews all seem to be rather positive and seems good value for money. I stopped running pellets as my TLF 150 couldnt tumble them very well and was not doing as it should be leading to other problems in the tank, keen to get it running properly with pellets again and see how it goes.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
sounds like there not enof flow try closing a the value to the chiller if u have 1 and see if the pellets tumble better should be a pretty even tumble all the way though the pellets @RobbieMVFC

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
sounds like there not enof flow try closing a the value to the chiller if u have 1 and see if the pellets tumble better should be a pretty even tumble all the way though the pellets @RobbieMVFC
Thanks mate . I might try connecteing it to its own pump.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
@Joshwaaaa i really like the the JNS just got it last night i don''t see how it could ever have problems with tumbling. the only negative i can find with them is there isn't a reseculation pump so u cant directly control how much bio film goes into your tank but you can control this by adding and removing bio-pellets

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Here is some good info. They are talking about the reef dynamics reactor but a bit about pellets in general to....

@RobbieMVFC this is my first time using them but as long as they are all moving I'd say a slower tumble is better than a fast when you don't have control of how much effluent is leaving the reactor.

Hangin to get mine cranking the pellets are soaking till Friday morning then its on!!!!

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Here is some good info. They are talking about the reef dynamics reactor but a bit about pellets in general to....

@RobbieMVFC this is my first time using them but as long as they are all moving I'd say a slower tumble is better than a fast when you don't have control of how much effluent is leaving the reactor.

Hangin to get mine cranking the pellets are soaking till Friday morning then its on!!!!
Thanks @Sarg , I decided to leave it in the end I figure I wont panic until I see it start to clump together.
I have been running it for a month now and I have a had a canyo outbreak . the reasons could be ....
1. the BM reactor was tumbling to quickly.
2. the outlet of the reactor was close to the skimmer but I suspect that the majority missed it ( hence why I purchased a new one)
3. I started very conservative and never added more after 2 weeks.

I have now doubled my amount but its still at 2 thirds of the recommend dosage
. i had found this experiment on line where some one set up 5 tanks and trialed 5 different methods and Bio pallets worked the best .
All this guy wanted to achieve was less algae on his glass but the corals benefited also . in terms of color and growth.
I can't find the link....o_0

BTW all reports I have read it takes about 6-8 week b4 you see any change

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
if there tumbling like that they should be fine. just make sure there all moving

I've tryed bio pellets twice first time i just stoped dosing a carbon (vodka) and i found the bio pellets worked withing the week with my skimmer pulling more then it ever did before this time its taken a lot longer i''m guess i don't have a lot of the bacteria present in the tank this time round.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
You can try to speed it up with a bit of bacteria. I'm going to use the rest of my zeobak and brightwell mircobactor7 from K&J aquatics.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Yeah I did. I snuck it on the cc before the dollar got any worse and I'm not sure if the better half has noticed yet :) My wife wants to stay in Vic so our house in sunny warm QLD will hopefully be under contract next week so I don't feel to bad about spending the cash lol

My tank is a bit rough atm so not sure how it will go. I don't expect it to be a miracle cure but hopefully it helps!

Ben S

Apr 9, 2013
Point Cook
Guys ... Just be careful when running BioPellets/Pearls .. They can cause a bacterial bloom if too many are used too soon. Start with a 1/4 of the amount and build up after a few weeks.

Ben

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I started with about 2/3's but it should be ok for mine as I can control the amount of effluent leaving the reactor, but a good point you make!

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
starting to see some changes in my tank. red slim is disappearing and phosphate dropped from 0.74ppm to 0.22ppm in a week . hopefully ill be red slim free in a 1month or so fingers crossed :P

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hi all , I just wanted to rejuvenate this thread .
How everyone’s tank is going with bio Pellets ? My tank is starting to look very good again .
95% of the algae has gone from my tank. The Glass only has only to be cleaned once a week .
My P04 test as of last night is at 0.04 ppm Nitrate at 0.025 so I am personally very happy with mine.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I ended up buying a JNS alpha 2. I'm only 3 weeks into running pellets again, just added a second cup to my reactor last night. Over the weekend I tested phos = 0.1 nitrate =>10ppm.

So we shall see how we go from here

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
mine working dont really know how much its taken out. it went down to like 10ppm. cleaned out my sand and rock work shoot up to 40ppm but now sitting on 5ppm. havent done a water change in 2 months, so its definitely working. im up to about 600ml of the stuff probably add another 100ml.

Ben S

Apr 9, 2013
Point Cook
It's important to do a water change to catch any of the bacteria that the skimmer is not pulling out. :) I tend to stick to a small 10% weekly to keep on top of things.

Ben