Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
all that stuff is pretty easy mate. LFS (or yourself) can make the tank and sump, you can make/have made the weir and sump cover from an acrylic joint, cabinet you can make yourself or have made by someone handy with wood/aluminium/acrylic. Plans are already done, that is the advantage of making a scale sized version of an existing setup :)

Sump is the only area that will end up off-scale. Pumps/piping/skimmer/media etc will all be larger than scale. But that is ok, it is hidden in cabinet

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
skimmer.jpg

H: 34cm
L: 12.5cm
W: 5.5cm

could reduce it by making the housing smaller with a 3D printer or by getting an intank skimmer cup

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
would be good to get it down a few centimeters, otherwise it would either make the cabinet overly tall or difficult to get skimmer/cup in and out.

Could go 1/2 scale 60cm long, 40cm deep, 25cm height which gives you a footprint of roughly 4 A4 sheets of paper. Cabinet height would be 59cm then, plenty of room for a Tunze 9002.

Plus half scale would be kinda cute. :cum

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
This is awesome, I love the idea @leodb89! Gunna score you some serious brownie points! :p And once you get Mr. Midas Touch himself @Sam Parker you know you're in for a good one!! lol Tagging along to see how you go with it mate :)
What sort of other corals are you looking at/does she like?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
This is awesome, I love the idea @leodb89! Gunna score you some serious brownie points! :p And once you get Mr. Midas Touch himself @Sam Parker you know you're in for a good one!! lol Tagging along to see how you go with it mate :)
What sort of other corals are you looking at/does she like?
when i ask her that the answer is usually....Pink...lol she likes torches and hammers and BTA's...i would wanna get her some nice rics and some GSP and a few show piece colour corals, shes not too into the whole actinic glowing colours she likes seeing it under the natural light but i guess if i get her a light that has the moon cycle in it then she will probably start to see its beauty.

@Sam Parker is a pro with these mini-me builds, i will take little credit for any of this.

we're just discussing some dimensions to cater for the skimmer.

does anyone know of a smaller skimmer that is equal or better/close to the tunze 9002?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
new dimensions are looking to be:
50x33x20 - Tank
50x33x35 - Stand

Tank looks like this in paper vs license perspectve lol

scale perspective.JPG

as you know the 120XL is a deep tank...but should look pretty cool being shallow and deep in a nano, then maybe a sleek light should allow her to hav a top down view :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Reckon it would look pretty sweet, don't see any pico/nano's of this shape.

You need to decide on lighting and what material you want the cabinet made from.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Well I figured something similar to yours in the connect poles...I was thinking of getting a tunze led and getting bent acrylic and mimicking the Elos aquatop or mimicking the ati look with LEDs inside to make it look similar to what I'm going with or the aquatop to look similar to @NiCd's tank

images (2).jpg

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
@Sam Parker Cute render! What did you do that in?
@leodb89 Thanks for your kind words :) happy to help mate but I am a bit time poor at the moment, I have got a new version of my marine-pac coming out next month so I am busy organizing manufacturing.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
@Sam Parker Cute render! What did you do that in?
@leodb89 Thanks for your kind words :) happy to help mate but I am a bit time poor at the moment, I have got a new version of my marine-pac coming out next month so I am busy organizing manufacturing.
Hey Neill, had a feeling you be a little busy from when we spike last, but thought I'd chime you in to see if I couldn't get your attention every so often when you visit :)

So I'll send off an email to my tank builder for a quote...black or clear silicone? Elos uses black

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Hmm that could work I have access to one I need to check height and depth maybe I can put it in the cabinet and hang it off the sump

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
lol fair call, but they are in stock at least :)

Whats those copies aquascape designs have, aqua style or something like that