Off-Topic

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Ford ranger,
Not quite the weapon like everyone on here! Just got exhaust, wheels, air filter, stereo. Soon to be chipped, bigger intercooler. Goes alright for an oiler :D Hopefully when I land a position on the railways (im an apprentice) ill be throwing some hard earned into an FG f6

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
You guys are gonna think I'm a grandpa, but I've got a Ford FG G6 being delivered on Friday. I had been looking at an XR6, but the price was right, and it looks pretty tidy. Turns out they're good for 208kw if you run em on premium. Might have to try that theory :P

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
my old car. this was my baby when i was on my P plates. tastefully modified

everyone likes donuts in the school carpark
S6303075resized.jpg

S6303077resized.jpg

then comes my newer commodore
pics 047.JPG

and the car before that my magna
pics 007croped.jpg

loved the magna it had some true power to it. used to beat 5.7l v8s (stock ones) 5l no problem xr6 easy only had pacemakers with a full exhaust oversize throttle body and cold air intake.

and now
weird change huh!
photo.jpg

Attachments

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I've had a few cars. I had a '99 Lancer MR. Did some work on that little bastard to extract some extra horses out of it. I replaced it with a BA Falcon which could kick it's ass easily, but the Lancer still had the best handling of any car I've ever owned. Was never fast, but by the time I sold it, the bastard went round corners like it was on rails. Only car I've ever driven that made me feel like I was driving.
Been driving a '95 Ford Laser for the past couple of years, so looking forward to something that gets to 100km/hr in the same week I start it. I had planned on getting a BA XR6 this year, but I started thinking I'd be mad not to buy an FG.. especially if it turns out to be the last series of Oz built Falcons.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
60179_435831700821_514435821_4917834_4419627_n.jpg

My old girl. Nothing special just Pod with custom intake, 2.5" cat back, ecu tune, painted the interior black from that shitty grey colour, and custom painted inserts

IMG00603-20110525-1349.jpg

The new beast. Only 3" catback atm. Love to put a few dollars into it in the future tho.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'm feeling out numbered flying the Ford flag here guys :D

I'm over spending money on doing up cars, though this G6 will need a technology pack installed. And that space saver spare piece of shit will be getting replaced the minute I see a suitable spare at a wreckers. Planning on having this until it makes a secondhand taxi look brand new :D

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Been driving a '95 Ford Laser for the past couple of years, so looking forward to something that gets to 100km/hr in the same week I start it. I had planned on getting a BA XR6 this year, but I started thinking I'd be mad not to buy an FG.. especially if it turns out to be the last series of Oz built Falcons.
Looks like Holdens going that way too after VF series is released in 2014 :(

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Yes, yes dave make sure its the G6E turbo, you'll never have to spend a cent on it, plenty of power straight from the box and one of the few ford I actually like! Nice and luxo on the inside too

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
As much as I hate Holdens, that sucks. I'd still take a Holden over a Toyota.
Hate seeing Oz built cars going the way of the dodo. Both the Commie and Falcon platforms are world class, and will be sad to see them vanish and be replaced with boring overseas built cars.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Yes, yes dave make sure its the G6E turbo, you'll never have to spend a cent on it, plenty of power straight from the box and one of the few ford I actually like! Nice and luxo on the inside too
Hell no. Can't afford a G6E, and sure as hell can't afford to drive a turbo! I'd like one, but as it is, this is going to severely bugger my aquarium budget! My new tank might get wet over christmas, but most of the other stuff I'm yet to buy it is now going to wait until January :(
This town is pretty hilly (I live in a suburb that ends in Hill, and I work about 7 suburbs away, two of which start with Mount) - as fun as a turbo would be, I'd never keep the fuel up to it.

195kw out of a N/A 6 has more than enough power to do what I need. I've had an FG XR6 pulling a camper trailer along a road in southern NSW happily over take 2 4WDs with caravans in row, and only start to struggle. At about 160km/hr. If that ain't enough power for a town car you're either towing too much, dunno how to drive, or doing something you shouldn't be :D

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
As much as I hate Holdens, that sucks. I'd still take a Holden over a Toyota.
Hate seeing Oz built cars going the way of the dodo. Both the Commie and Falcon platforms are world class, and will be sad to see them vanish and be replaced with boring overseas built cars.
Yea its sad but at least we'll still have the camry! :p lol. I read a story in Wheels recently that insiders at ford reckon an awd turbo four taurus could make it to Australia along with their fwd cardigan cars the fat yanks seem to love, once the brand globalises... I don't like going the artist impressions in those mags as often the cars in the metal look nothing like them, but even if the taurus looked half as good as the artist imp, I'd almost consider buying the t4, it looks pretty smicko!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Never been able to get into the Taurus that much, and I remember when they were first conceived. Turbo 4s are fun, but hard to see them being popular as fleet cars. Remember it's the fleet cars that make the second hand market so damn affordable after all

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I've never been able to get into any yank cars after the 70's muscle car era.. Most of em are still stone age running solid rear axles and leaf sprung.. The best thing outta the states has gotta be the supercharged coyote ford motor followed very closely by the chevy big block '8s (all the LS variants, besides the LS2 which was rubbish IMO)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I can't believe that 'stangs have still been running leaf springs. It's madness. That said, I can't think of too many yank cars that impress me that much. I'll go with mustangs on principal, but even then, if Carol's name isn't on it and it isn't from the 60s, I'm not interested.
I have nothing against the US, but I think as our own nation, we've had a couple of good platforms that have served as well, and could serve the world better than what we're going to have dumped on us from the US market. That's a lot of jobs going - from everyone to designers and engineers down to the folks standing on the production line. At least with Commonwhores and Falcons we can at least think of them and have some pride in them being ours.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
You'll be plenty happy with the NA XR6, Dave. They're a bloody fun car to drive and have just enough pull to be a dickhead in when you feel like sinking the boot, but not really enough to get you into too much trouble...

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
dave a flash tune and you will be supprised at how much potential they have. my friend managed 200rwkw out of the NA ba, 5 speed manual just with a full exhaust cold air and a tune.
that thing was a weapon

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
You'll be plenty happy with the NA XR6, Dave. They're a bloody fun car to drive and have just enough pull to be a dickhead in when you feel like sinking the boot, but not really enough to get you into too much trouble...
My old man's had 3 FG XR6s, 2 BFs and 1 BA if I recall (work cars, traded at 40k Fairmonts before that) - always enjoyed them (BF manual had a shit gearbox though). I'm going for a G6 - doubt I'll notice a lot of difference though. Different body kit, and a little softer on the suspension. Hopefully the softer suspension might mean they're a little kinder to the tyres. Camber issues on the rears have been a pain in the ass on FGs - always scrubbing them.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
dave a flash tune and you will be supprised at how much potential they have. my friend managed 200rwkw out of the NA ba, 5 speed manual just with a full exhaust cold air and a tune.
that thing was a weapon
Pass. Don't want more power out of it I'm not 20something anymore Greeny :D
If I wanted power, I'd have just bought an XR6 Turbo and been done with it. Then chatted to my boss' mate who used to work for FPV :)