Reef Discussion

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
They didn't charge me for the cover so it's a freebie for you! I am working up until the 24th so I won't be home much. I could always post it to you or leave it in my letterbox for you to pick up?
I'll shoot you a PM in a few days - maybe Sunday if it works for you?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Does anyone want one?

When I asked at the time there were no takers. I can order 10 and pay $40 (that is a guess without looking at the web site) - for a one-off the proto-board is the best option, albeit a bit more time consuming.

Mar 1, 2014
At last it is done!!!

As some of you know, I run a litermeter continuous automated water change system. It is awesome, no doubt about it and I was lucky to get each component second hand at a good rate. I say that because there is one downside to these systems - the cost. Whilst I think they are worth it (especially since I paid a fraction of new retail cost!) others think the cost is a bit much, can't argue there.

So, a mate of mine wanted a bare bones litermeter type setup and found some good aqua medic peristaltic pumps to move the water.
We just had to work out how to control them. They are 240v pumps so the thought of digital timers came to mind, but they just aren't accurate enough as one pump could be 1% less efficient than the other and the timer wouldn't allow that level of fine control.

Seems like arduino is the answer, I'm just not good enough with arduino stuff yet... Lucky for me I know a few clever people who are pretty handy with that stuff and @MagicJ was very kind to help out. Not only did he develop the code (attached as freeware to all Reefuge members) but also to do the hard work of the electronics.

All I had to do was work out the 240v side of things and hand it over to my mate to test out.

This is where we are at now. The code accepts a calibration value for each pump (set amount of fluid or time, whichever is easier), an amount of water to change per day and the number of pump events you want to happen each hour(lots of small or a couple large).

Here are the pics!
View attachment 49496 View attachment 49497 View attachment 49498

Updates to follow :)

Sam
I bought a liter meter and could not be happier. We'll worth the money! It has saved me hours and my tank is so stable.