Tank Journal Archive

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
how much would the newer one be? looking at getting one before i go on holidays. trying to make it as easier for whoever is looking after the tank while im gone haha

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
ATO is one of those things you need to get right, as important as a skimmer IMO. A new one would set you back $160 for the nano version. The full would cost about $100 more but it has a 2nd fail safe in case the sensor or something fails

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
just spoke to reef 6 and he sells one for $160. might go for that unless i can find one cheaper locally.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
would say so. My concern is there is no failsafe, if the float sticks all of the RO will just pump into the tank, likely making it overflow. In saying that the full version with laser sensor and float is not fool proof, but gives me peace of mind

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
thats the $265 one correct? they have it on the website you showed me. see i wouldnt mind buying it if it makes things easier and more full proof. i found a 15 L water drum on the bunnings website which would fit underneath the table that the tank is sitting on. only concern is whether or not the pump will fit through the hole.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
I guess it all depends on where I put the float correct? Ill pop down to the LFS and have a look and make a decision. Cheers guys.

Also, on a side note, are nass snails readily available here in VIC? And are they expensive?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Not for me mate. If the float fails and the pump shuts off after 5 minutes, from what I am reading there isnt an indicator this has happened, and it won't run again until you unplug it and plug it back in. So essentially it may not run for days and you not know unless you are checking it regularly.

Personal thing I guess but the back up with audiable alarm on the other version is a much safer bet in my opinion.

You need to put the float at the level you want the water to maintain in the tank

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
i see your point. leading towards the safer option as i will be away for a month mid year this year. just hard to justify $100 for piece of mind hahaha