Tank Journal Archive

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
In our experience, Kongs (the importer of aquaone here in Australia) have been unbelievably good with their customer service and standing by their product. They've replaced two entire AR400s for us (yes, the whole system!) and we chose to go back a third time because of their superior service.
We're upgrading our lighting to LEDs though. Reason being: we wanted good lighting for corals, but also cost efficient lights. The quad unit that's currently on the 400 has a total of 216w. If we added another 2x lights to that, that's 324w plus we'd probably have to do some decent mods on the hood to accomodate them. Add to that our need to consider our best option for no less than three tanks (after just receiving an exorbitant power bill) and our decision was made.
The 4' LED that we're getting (illumagic blaze) is approx 200w for more intense luminosity than 6x T5s and it's completely programmable, we can't shatter a light tube by bumping it during re-scapes, the mods on the hood should be minimal and we'll save power.

At the end of the day, I think it's more a question of what suits you and your tank/lifestyle/budget more than "which light is better" b/c like you said, some people are opting to return to T5s where as others swear by LED's. It's all personal preference :)

Good luck! And your tank looks great ;)
Let me know how you get on with the led changeover, been contemplating this...but still want the same lid affect on the very top, for covers. Please!

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
@Fishy - Sadly we had to scrap the idea of modding the hood b/c the lights HAD to sit higher otherwise there was too much "dark space" on the back wall. It would have been fine if we were going to buy like a ComboRay or something and angle that towards the back, but with the Blaze alone, we ended up needing to build a frame to suspend it off. (See our TJ for pics)

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
@Fishy - Sadly we had to scrap the idea of modding the hood b/c the lights HAD to sit higher otherwise there was too much "dark space" on the back wall. It would have been fine if we were going to buy like a ComboRay or something and angle that towards the back, but with the Blaze alone, we ended up needing to build a frame to suspend it off. (See our TJ for pics)
Okay, did you look at the Aqua One LED light they stock with the lunar cycle etc?

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Nope. Just liked the illumagics so went with them :-) Would be interesting to see the aqua ones though!
Are you looking into them?

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Picked up a Lamarcks angel to replace my Coral Beauty today, not as colourful but apparently completely reef safe, will get a photo when he is settled in.

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Picked up a couple of new corals at the EOFY sale at my local LFS. They had some pretty cool stuff.Got two tubunaria, one sinularia and a couple of bunches of kick arse zoas.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The zoas have only been in the tank for about 30 minutes.

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Picked up a nice Nano for my son at a good price as well. He has had an aquaone 380 running for about 5 months, but decided an upgrade was in order.I will have to start a new TJ next week when we do the transfer of his fish and coral.

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Had these photos in an i.d. Thread but thought I would add them here as it is pretty cool looking. I don't see it very often, but was lucky enough to get some photos this time.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
I have notice a decline in the overall health of my coral in the last few weeks so got my water tested, nitrate has spiked ( I think maybe due to a bit of over feeding since the Mandarin went in ) so have spent the day doing water changes, hopefully this and the fact that I can drop down the feeding as the Mandarin is now actively taking flake and pellets should fix the problem.

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
I am so over the Decorator Urchin in my tank, for the 3rd or 4th time I have caught it burrowing under my zoanthids and lifting them from the rock:mad:. It might be time for a one way trip back to the LFS.

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
A few shots I took this morning.

The latest inclusion, a Lamarcks Angel.
It has been in the tank a couple of weeks now, and is fitting in quite well.

IMG_3360.JPG

and a few other random shots

IMG_3358.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG
IMG_3384.JPG
IMG_3405.JPG

Think I have the nitrate problem under control, 150 litre water change yesterday, only issue is that I now have a small hair algae problem.
So any ideas for removal would much appreciated.

pummerz

Jul 20, 2013
Hove
Hi @Darren S

Tank is looking great mate,
Do you have any macro in your sump? if not this will help with your nitrates.
How about another FTS?

Cheers,
Ben...

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Hey @pummerz, yeah I have got some macro in the sump and have just added some more. I have now changed 300L of water this week and have hopefully got it under control.
I will get a FTS this week:)