Tank Journal Archive

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
You know something isn't right when they don't hassle over a replacement, I got the third degree and a refusal from mine at first.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
In our experience, Kongs (the importer of aquaone here in Australia) have been unbelievably good with their customer service and standing by their product. They've replaced two entire AR400s for us (yes, the whole system!) and we chose to go back a third time because of their superior service.
We're upgrading our lighting to LEDs though. Reason being: we wanted good lighting for corals, but also cost efficient lights. The quad unit that's currently on the 400 has a total of 216w. If we added another 2x lights to that, that's 324w plus we'd probably have to do some decent mods on the hood to accomodate them. Add to that our need to consider our best option for no less than three tanks (after just receiving an exorbitant power bill) and our decision was made.
The 4' LED that we're getting (illumagic blaze) is approx 200w for more intense luminosity than 6x T5s and it's completely programmable, we can't shatter a light tube by bumping it during re-scapes, the mods on the hood should be minimal and we'll save power.

At the end of the day, I think it's more a question of what suits you and your tank/lifestyle/budget more than "which light is better" b/c like you said, some people are opting to return to T5s where as others swear by LED's. It's all personal preference :)

Good luck! And your tank looks great ;)

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Temporary T5 light sitting on top of the tank as the Aquaone fitting now has 2 tubes not working. A lot of my corals are starting to look a little sad. Zoas reaching up for light, leather not opening up, organ pipe not opening. Hopefully the new fitting will be here tomorrow. I have the new Geissemann tubes ready to go.
image.jpg

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
I hope your lights turn up soon, Darren!
You're tank still looks great tho ;-) thumbs up!
Thanks @TheJordans, the lights should be here tomorrow, Aquaone are moving warehouses and are dropping the fitting off in the morning, things are still OK but I am starting to notice some changes in the corals.

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Picked up a new Flasher Wrasse a few days ago, I was waiting for the new lights to get a photo but here he is.
Hopefully he won't jump:(.
Also have a couple of Peppermint shrimp on order as I have noticed some Aptasia starting to appear.:mad:
IMG_2679.JPG
IMG_2680 1.JPG
IMG_2687 1.JPG

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
ive got the same flasher wrasse and they do jump. i saw mine jump half a meter straight up and down when i did a water change once! it has also jumped in to the over flow many times.

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
ive got the same flasher wrasse and they do jump. i saw mine jump half a meter straight up and down when i did a water change once! it has also jumped in to the over flow many times.
Thats how my last one ended it, I was doing a water change and didn't notice he had jumped on the glass lid under the T5's. Slow baked. I will have to be more vigilant, I have also blocked all holes.

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Lost my Coral Beauty today. He has been having issues swimming for the last 6 or 7 months. I think his problem started on a hot day last summer before I got the chiller. I think his brain got a little cooked. From that day on when he swam he bobbed up and down, to swim from one end of the tank to the other would take a minute rather than a second. In the end I think he ran out of energy, he had to work so hard just to swim around.
image.jpg