Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Daveh's 60x45x45 Cade
Last week I purchased @MTG's Cade tank.
I've spent all this week swapping everything over from my DIY 60x40x30 tank and making it fit in the CADE cabinet.
Managed to squeeze in my chiller, ATO, dosing pump and Arduino controls.
I intend to sell my other 60cm along with a bunch of bits and pieces I've gathered along the way but I want to keep the Yasha and return it to its great original state.
Plenty of pre-planning made the changeover go smoothly, all the coral and fish (all 3 of them) appreciated the new surroundings.
I don't know what it is about the new tank but everything looks so much better.
I'm looking forward to the Qld LFS run in January, I need a few new corals to compliment the new layout.
I put a WP-25 wave pump in instead of a direct flow - what a great unit, so many settings available and the tank looks great with the wave action happening.
cade-1.jpg cade-2.jpg cade-3.jpg
I'll get some better pics - plus I've already moved a few things around.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Awesome! I will enjoy watching this one, it looks great :) and the cabinet is wickedly neat too!!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thanks, I'll try and turn it into a nice looking tank - but I've got a hard task to come anywhere near the previous owner.
I'll get some new pics up tomorrow.

Reactions: MTG

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
hahaha thanks for the kind words @daveH you were one of the few people that actualy got to see it running in person back in its prime :D

im just glad it went to a reef nut that is as interested in reefing as i am, it will do you well and is a beautiful tank im glad you like it!! everything looks so much better because your looking through starfire glass it really is that much clearer! :worship

you did a wicked neat job of inside the stand!!!! mine was never that neat :D and im glad you kept the black substrate looks mint!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Latest photo (till I change something else)
Getting there.
cade-4.jpg
I've also got the Yasha back to its original condition. It was looking pretty shitty there for a while, now it's cleaned up and a clown home and a good backup tank.
yasha-1.jpg

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I decided to take the chiller out of the cabinet, it was creating too much heat in there and it was just a little too cramped to get to things.
It's all a lot easier now with it sitting out side, plus it makes it easier when I shut it down after summer.
I also tried swapping skimmers around. The AquaMedic 500 is a brilliant skimmer and I know it would handle the Cade really well.
Even though it just fitted in snuggly it didn't allow a smooth water flow and created a trickling noise from the water intake slots which I couldn't stop, so I had to go back to the Tunze skimmer. It did look good in there - just needed another couple of mm space.
All in all the Cade is going well and everything is quite happy in the new home. :)
cade-5.JPG cade-6.JPG

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i wanted to upgrade to the newer tunze but they made it slightly bigger :banghead you could always cut out a few of the slots to allow better water flow on the end of the box?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
i wanted to upgrade to the newer tunze but they made it slightly bigger :banghead you could always cut out a few of the slots to allow better water flow on the end of the box?
The trouble was that the AquaMedic was a firm fit sideways and was against the intake slots which caused the trickling noise because the water couldn't flow smoothly in.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
The trouble was that the AquaMedic was a firm fit sideways and was against the intake slots which caused the trickling noise because the water couldn't flow smoothly in.
ahhhhh bumber! worth a try anyway!

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Really liking the look of this! That stand is fantastic. What type of chiller is that? Also, what is the blue liquid you're dosing?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
The chiller is a Hailea HC-130A 1/15hp. One of the best pieces of equipment I've ever purchased!!
The blue liquid is Seachem Reef Complete - (Raises Calcium, maintains Magnesium & Stontium)
I was going to upload a pic of the 3 chemicals but uploading isn't working at the moment.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I'm having to ramp up the SeaChem additives I'm currently dosing - I haven't seen them bring the levels up to where I want.
When these bottles run out I think I'll go back to Randy's Recipe which was giving me great control over the parameters and at a fraction of the cost of commercial products.