Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
A quick bit of video of the tank today - I've trimmed the xenia back again. the hammer in the middle is sort of cascading down the rock, I didn't know it would look like that when I positioned it but it seems to be happy being in that position. Everything else is doing OK.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
About 4 days ago one of my little chromis got a bit mark on the side of his body, probably from one of the clowns, and it didn't look too bad and wasn't affecting him at all.
Last night he looked on the way out and this morning he was gone, literally gone. He must have died during the night and ended up a bristle worm meal.
Anyway, after some advice from @Dr. Schell I went and got one to replace him and makeup the odd number of fish required.
After I acclimated him and put him in the tank, he swam into the rocks and hid which was a worry because he was right next to the Flame Angel and the 2 Clowns - I was just waiting for him to get bitten.
Then 1 of the other chromis.swam down to him and just brushed up against him and the new one followed him up and joined the others.
It was like " don't stay down here mate come up and join us".
It was really interesting to watch.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
New additions to the Cade with the help of two visits to Reef Savers - it's so hard to walk out of there without something.
My new Crispa Nem - just starting to settle and fatten up. He's a real monster.

crispa-nem.jpg

I finally had to get a nem because my clowns were hosting in the Xenia but now have taken to the big green goni which will eventually kill it.
And I think I've finally completed my hammer garden.
hammer-garden.jpg

I'll post a FTS when the new arrivals have settled in properly.

Reactions: MTG

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Latest FTS - The crispa nem (the monster) has decided to settle in the back corner. The clowns decided to host the small BTA and not the crispa :confused:
The BTA has moved to behind a rock in the middle and seems to be getting bigger now that the clowns are in it. At least the clowns have decided to leave the goni alone which is a relief. Everything is going really well at the moment. :D All corals and fish are fat and happy.
FTS-19-2.JPG

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I've been posting about using Zeovit additives in Oscar Starts The Zeovit Program. about the results I wasn't getting but now I am getting.
I've been hand dosing each night just as the lights go out.
Coral Snow - 1 ml, Amino Acid Concentrate - 1/2 ml, Sponge Power 1 drop, Coral Vitaliser 1 drop. All mixed into a half a glass of tank water and slowly poured throughout the tank.
Coral growth & polyp extension has been quite noticeable on most corals and the water clarity is excellent.
AND!!! I read on the Coral Snow bottle that it helps clear up Cyno. I've been having a struggle with Cyno in the Yasha lately so I gave it a dose - amazing results!!
I've dosed it twice now and the cyno and algae have cleared up and the tank is crystal clear.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I really love the Zeovit supps and coral snow does absolute wonders for water clarity! :) Having a dry skim drives the effectiveness of it all through the roof too :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Yep, exactly like that :) I only learnt this about a week ago haha I was running a fairly wet skim and changed it and everything has just reacted exceptionally well :)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Latest FTS. Everything is responding well to the Zeovit dosing. Some corals in particular have really benefited from it.
Hammers are going crazy.
The Crispa is still settled in the back corner with the other corals trying to stay out of its reach.
It's way bigger than what I thought it would be - I'm not sure if I want to keep it now, it's taking up too much tank and the clowns don't want to know about it!!!
The clowns have taken to the bubbletip nem that you can just see in the middle of the pic.
I've put a little bit more rock in the back corner and started a small acan garden. Hope to add some small variations as I find them.
All in all not too bad.
FTS.JPG