Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Did a big clean this morning. The fuge was getting a white sludgy buildup in the bottom - seems to be coming from using the Zeo coral snow maybe.
Anyway its all cleaned up now, it was good to give the return pump and the skimmer pump a good clean - both seem much more efficient now. It's amazing how much gunk builds up on the impeller shaft it must slow things down a fair bit.
I'm looking forward to turning the chiller off soon, but we're still getting hot muggy days that's keeping the temps up.

Did a big clean this morning. The fuge was getting a white sludgy buildup in the bottom - seems to be coming from using the Zeo coral snow maybe.
Anyway its all cleaned up now, it was good to give the return pump and the skimmer pump a good clean - both seem much more efficient now. It's amazing how much gunk builds up on the impeller shaft it must slow things down a fair bit.
I'm looking forward to turning the chiller off soon, but we're still getting hot muggy days that's keeping the temps up.
Here here on the chiller shut down. They do suck the juice...

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I'm starting to get a bit tired of the white sludge that seems to be coming from using the Zeovit Coral Snow. I might stop the Zeo program for a while and try a different dosing using a Seachem mixture.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I don't think it's the coral snow? I use mine daily and a little more than the recommended dosage and I have never seen any white sludge in my tank. What other Zeo products are you dosing??

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I don't think it's the coral snow? I use mine daily and a little more than the recommended dosage and I have never seen any white sludge in my tank. What other Zeo products are you dosing??
Phew, thats about the only Zeo product I want to use - so hope its not that!!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I'm starting to get a bit tired of the white sludge that seems to be coming from using the Zeovit Coral Snow. I might stop the Zeo program for a while and try a different dosing using a Seachem mixture.
is it precipitation from dosing calcium and alkalinity in the same areas at similar intervals?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
NOTE: the name of the video isnt implying you dont know what you're doing, its more showing what i mean by my comment, i used to do what he say not to do in the video

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Tell us more about the white sludge!
It's white and it's sludgy . . . it's not a huge amount but it settles in the bottom of back area (AIO tank) and I have to clean it out every so often.
I do dose Alk and Calc, but do it at least an hour apart. Maybe there is some of one left when the other is dosed in. I'll move the dosing times further apart and see if that helps.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
It's white and it's sludgy . . . it's not a huge amount but it settles in the bottom of back area (AIO tank) and I have to clean it out every so often.
I do dose Alk and Calc, but do it at least an hour apart. Maybe there is some of one left when the other is dosed in. I'll move the dosing times further apart and see if that helps.

yeah im not saying it is that, and i guess precipitation wouldnt be sludgy as such but might help to see....also, you could dose it right in the way of your return nozzle to disperse it out.

do you run a filter sock or filter wool? might help to see if its just detritus building up?

having thrown all thes guesses out there...why dont we ask @MTG if he experienced the same when he ran it? he used zeo too