Reef Discussion

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
The killer is the junction temperature where the LED meets the heatsink. In essence its probbaly only a few mm in diameter on the back of the LED. Thus the overall temperature of the heatsink is not really relevent to the temperature at the LED. Obvisouly if we can keep the overall heatsink at room temperature the heat from the junction has the best chance of dissapating quickly. I have not really heard of any premature failures or significant loss in output from any of the LED DIY threads with or without fancy heatsinks or positive fan cooling. Not that I have been activly looking over the last few years..

I have an infrared thermometer we can get some target temperatures from once its biult & if high you can modify the heat sink.
Looks like your getting closer macca

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Make a water cooled heat shrink ;) same as a engine :p
You got a bloke thinking now!
(Hmm, 208 Cree's = lots of almost free heat)

If you can list the size alloy your after, we can get a price for you to. Will put a couple of prices up when I get home, working hard here this morning ya know!

PM'd macca :)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
You would want to make sure that no water comes into contact with the water... And plastic pipe is a shit heat exchanger. There is your first hurdle you need to find a suitable material that will transfer the heat from the heatsink to the water without leaching any toxic nasties into the water... Something like titanium :rolleyes

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Is Aluminium Checker plate suitable? Turns out my Brother-in-law has a factory full of this stuff. Thinking obviously pattern side up. Any idea's what gauge would be OK?

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
Is Aluminium Checker plate suitable? Turns out my Brother-in-law has a factory full of this stuff. Thinking obviously pattern side up. Any idea's what gauge would be OK?
i use a sheet of 3mm plate not check and it gets warm but not hot its 1100 x 550 wide