Off-Topic

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I just got the domain registered for our new site www.bbqleek.co.uk (dont think it's hosted yet so the link might not work, just a blank page anyway!) so going to spend the next few weeks getting it looking how we want and then we are set!

I am going to have section for 'guest' recipies, hope some of you would post your top ones on there!
Very good!!

Why is it a uk based address for?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I lived i nthe UK for 5 years and this is run with my best mate who lives there. He has a mate who is a web designer and got us the domain cheap and going to help a bit, so its a uk site.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Ribs sound good - With the ribs - put them in boiling water for 10 or so minutes until they are almost cooked and then finish them on the bbq with the mariade spread all over them - you will find they are a lot more tender and a lot of the fat gets boiled off so they are healthier too:) I couldnt believe the differenc eit made from putting them straight onto the bbq or oven

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I heard they could be tough so these were slow roasted for 2 1/2 hours roughly so that melts down the sinuous tissue.... aaghh that fat so damned unhealthy but ooohhh sooo TASTY

I cooked a beef rib roast at 70 degrees for 4 hours till the inside temp hit 55o then sealed it off in the frypan and set it aside to rest for 20mins and man that was the most tender piece of beef ever (apart from slow cooker stuff)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
slow roasting is much better than boiling IMO. The fat renders through the meat and out into the tray so you get the flavour of the fat (where 90% of the flavour is) and almost none of the bad stuff.

Plus you get the added bonus of using the caramelisation to make your sauce/gravy if you dont use packet stuff :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
The word caramelisation always makes my mouth water - good word!

Re: master stock - I have never heard of doing this, what a good idea! I have a sourdough culture and a fermented soda culture in the fridge, so will look into creating a stock. I just recently slow cooked a roast and froze the juices so I'm kicking myself coz I used it all to make gravy one night.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Master stock chicken (Neil perry just so I don't get sued lol)

1.5 lts water
250ml light soy sauce
250ml Shaoxing wine
150g Yellow rock sugar
1 large know of ginger peeled and sliced I used a piece around 3 or so cm cubed
3 cloves of garlic sliced
4 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
3 pieces of dried mandarin peel

Bring all the ingredients to the boil and then simmer for 20 mins in a pot just big enough to hold the chicken and stock.

Add the chicken breast side down and bring back to the boil, when boiling turn down to a strong simmer for 20mins.

Turn the chicken and leave on for a further 3 mins then put a lid on and take it off the heat and leave till the stock has cooled. Remove the chicken.

Strain the stock through a sifter lined with cheese/muslin cloth to remove the indredients and any food matter then bring it to the boil and cool and put it in a container then freeze it.

As far as cooking goes the pot I use it to big and the stock doesn't quite cover the chicken so I leave it on for about half and hour then turn for 5 mins and leave to cool. My brother in law has had his stock going for over 10 years and he cooks his to the minute but he has a perfect sized pot.

I always added water each time maybe a litre and small quantities of the ingredients ie a clove of garlic a few tablespoons of the liquid ingredients 1 star anise small cube of ginger and a few pieces of rock sugar. Taste it before and after the first cook and you'll quickly pick up what needs to be added.

It might sound complicated but it really isn't also freeze 100ml or so in a seperate container for stir fries a table spoon in a stir fry picks it up a little.

Once you have the chicken it can be used warm cold or quickly fried in oil to get Chinese crispy skin chicken.

The spirit house version uses less Shaoxing and 75mls of dark soy.

Every time you use it the flavor gets that little bit better and is well worth the effort!!

Enjoy

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
No worries :)

If you find an Asian supermarket around your area they will have the yellow rock sugar the mandarin peel and the shoaxing cooking wine.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
My wife is Gluten intolerant :( make it difficult these days doing the cooking lol

When we have burgers we use a gluten free crusty bread mix and follow the instructions on the mix and make rolls out of it instead of the loaf. They are still pipping hot when the meat goes on :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
usually bread mixes have alot of rubbish in them you do not want in your bread. Buy some quality gluten free bread flour, dried yeast and salt. Then just add water. Save you money as well. I have not bought a loaf of bread in 5 years :)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Allrighty time for an update....

another Spirit House reciepe

Crispy fried whole fish with Tamarind Chilli Sauce

One of the easiest and tasty meals you can make bar none!

10 white peppercorns
4 tbs chopped garlic
2 golden shallots
1tbs Galangal (thai ginger just use normal if you cant find it)
1tbs Chopped corriander root or stem (more flavour in the root check the fresh corriander most shops leave it on)
4 chillis no seeds and finely chopped... if you like it hot we use one kids dont like to much
2tbs fish sauce
2tbs palm sugar
1/2cup tamarind water (most asian supermarets sell a block of tamarind or concentrate)

1 fish cleaned scaled and coated in flour for frying.

Pound pepper in mortar add garlic,shallots,galangal and corriander to make a paste. heat the oil in a wok or pan big enough to hold the fish and add the paste and chillies and fry till it smells good (2mins) add fish sauce palm sugar and tamarind water. The sauce should be tangy,sweet, salty and thick. add a couple of tbs of water if it is too dry though. simmer for a mintue then remove from wok but keep it warm.

Get some oil in the wok with enough in there to cover the fish and heat it till its sizzling hot. carefully slide the fish in and cook for around ten mintues using a wok spoon to spoon the hot oil over the fish flip and cook for a further 5 mins. Drain the oil put it on a plate and tip the sauce over the top and dig in. We have it with rice normally.

Obviously the book has a prettier picture ;)

stand 3 001.jpg

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
The above one is delicious-call it " crunchy salad " in my house but because we don't mind rabbit food i usually also add slivered cucumber and snow pea sprouts. Also chuck in pepitas
use brown sugar instead of caster sugar( because I usually don't have any in the cupboard)
And i agree with Megan-is lapped up by people who don't usually like salad at all-i think it's the dressing. can also use the same dressing base with fish- I add dill to it when I do salmon and i'm a bit heavier with the vinegar- use a dash of balsamic vinegar as well as the white vinegar with this-I tend to chuck in and taste rather than measure quantities ( then can also add a tiny bit of chilli)

it occurs to me that we need a "YUM" emoticon rating thingy

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Allrighty time for an update....

another Spirit House reciepe

Crispy fried whole fish with Tamarind Chilli Sauce

One of the easiest and tasty meals you can make bar none!

10 white peppercorns
4 tbs chopped garlic
2 golden shallots
1tbs Galangal (thai ginger just use normal if you cant find it)
1tbs Chopped corriander root or stem (more flavour in the root check the fresh corriander most shops leave it on)
4 chillis no seeds and finely chopped... if you like it hot we use one kids dont like to much
2tbs fish sauce
2tbs palm sugar
1/2cup tamarind water (most asian supermarets sell a block of tamarind or concentrate)

1 fish cleaned scaled and coated in flour for frying.

Pound pepper in mortar add garlic,shallots,galangal and corriander to make a paste. heat the oil in a wok or pan big enough to hold the fish and add the paste and chillies and fry till it smells good (2mins) add fish sauce palm sugar and tamarind water. The sauce should be tangy,sweet, salty and thick. add a couple of tbs of water if it is too dry though. simmer for a mintue then remove from wok but keep it warm.

Get some oil in the wok with enough in there to cover the fish and heat it till its sizzling hot. carefully slide the fish in and cook for around ten mintues using a wok spoon to spoon the hot oil over the fish flip and cook for a further 5 mins. Drain the oil put it on a plate and tip the sauce over the top and dig in. We have it with rice normally.

Obviously the book has a prettier picture ;)

View attachment 4423

I was gunna say!!! It sounded divine until I saw the pic!!! LOL bet it tastes good though!! We need a "YUM" emoticon!!

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Wow, some yummy recipes in here.

Thought i would add a quick and easy one i made last night;)

Vp's Crusted Lamb Cuts. :cool:

Around 8-10 Lamb Cutlets
150g Salted Pistachio's
1 Tbs Crummies Bread crumbs
2 Tbs Butter
Olive oil
Dijon Mustard
Salt/Pepper
Oregano

1st pre heat oven to 150 deg.

Marinate Lamb with olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano, put aside.

De-shell pistachio's and chop them up fine, in a food processor if available. If not a knife will be fine.
Add the bread crumbs, 1 Tbs of olive oil and 2 Tbs of melted butter (Approx 35sec in microwave should melt it fine) and blend them up manually with the pistachio nuts. Put aside.

Bring a Pan to high heat and brown lamb cutlets on both sides, approx 1-2 minutes per side should do.

Remove and put them on some baking paper in a baking tray. Now lightly brush them all over with Dijon mustard.
Then spread the Pistachio mix all over on both sides, i use my hands to do this :) .

Put in the oven for 15 minutes , remove and let them rest for 5min. Serve and enjoy. (15min is on the medium to well done side, 20min for well done)

You can sprinkle a little lemon if you desire as well.

I just had these last night and they are scrumdiddlyumptious! I'll put up a pic next time i make them.

Serve with some Chips on the side, the crumbs that fall off are divine with the chips:D