Tank Journal Archive

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
I'm not sps professional so I think I might need a hand in letting me know what's going on with this acropora..well it's still the same colour from when I got it..it's like a tan stem with light purple blue tips..it's polyps are always out..and recently I've noticed the rings around where the polyps come from are becoming Fluro green and the base is a dark green in colour..(where the bottom of the colony is) I'm not sure what colour it's suppose to be but I've sourced a few pictures from some places which stocked the exact same acro..gives you an idea of the tan blue/purple tips I'm talking about..as I'm not sure if its browning out..

This is my colony:
image.jpg

Other colonies I've seen:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
over what timeframe had the change occurred, what are your water parameters (particularly nitrate and phos and temp), what is your lighting.
If the polyps have remained extended, it may be changing colour (i.e. zooxanthellae loading) to adjust to the intensity and wavelength of the light that you are providing.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
It's only been a week or so. I'm guessing its just always been green but only settled in so it comes out now, yeah the polyps are always extended..my parameters aren't too bad.

Cal - 440
Alk - 8
Mag -1400
Nitrate is 0
Phosphate is 0.05

Temperature is always at 25-26

My lighting is the maxspect razor nano..Im really not sure on the changes which occur in sps corals but I have done my research to keep them sorta. Like in terms of parameters, high lighting and flow..it's placed midway in my tank directly under the lights and it gets a good amount of flow and I do water changes in every fortnight..

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Yeah I was thinking that, I would see big changes in a month or so atleast. I've got no other problems in my tank, no nuisance algaes and all my othe corals are perfectly healthy. But thanks for the input..think my light could be a little bright, but well see..only time will tell.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Jimmy, this gramma is defiantly a mature FEMALE. The male will be larger and have pelvic fins at least twice the size of the ones on this fish.
You sure dude? Not that I'm fully questioning you. I've just googled male and female royal grammas and they're identical to me, would you by any chance have clesr pictures of either to compare as I really want to pair my single one up.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Pelvic Fins on the female will extend to the purple/yellow body section when folded. On males, the fins will extend well into the yellow section

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Great news, finally got my vertex magnet cleaner..lol wished I got this before I went and scratched my cade tank..ohwells..what's done is done.
image.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Here's two shots of the orange ricordea frags. This is different one. First ones on live rock and this ones on a frag tile. Enjoy. :)
image.jpg
image.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
My favourite zoa frags have doubled in side. Can't really tell but from 20-25 polyps now into 50-60 as they encrust on the rocks it's sitting on.

image.jpg

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
Lol chris, you really had to dislike? You did understand it was all a joke that you clearly didn't see. I told you myself I'm going on a holiday with my girlfriends family. Not a coral shopi spree. So chillax and sit back mate.
awww pity about that, but you said you would be getting them jimmy! see you even said here before! you wonder why your credibility is questionable bud! so @chris1987 dislike is more than justifiable ! :p

awww.png

oh do you have a frag of the magnet aswell :p
but jokes aside, tanks taking shape jimmy! looks the goods!

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
awww pity about that, but you said you would be getting them jimmy! see you even said here before! you wonder why your credibility is questionable bud! so @chris1987 dislike is more than justifiable ! :p

View attachment 15884

oh do you have a frag of the magnet aswell :p
but jokes aside, tanks taking shape jimmy! looks the goods!

Haha that's true, I did say I was, but seriously whoever thinks I'm going to bring back corals needs a slap across the cranium. Lol, it's ridiculous how much such a topic could stir. Brings out the best and worst in people in this hobby. Christopher simply doesn't like me..:) better?

Yeah but the frags need to be together or they'll die..;)

Yeah been running for about 3 weeks. Will look really good once I get more corals in.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
thats not the reason at all

Let me refine, you basically dislike me or hate me because I simply made a comment about bringing ricordea floridas myself from the states. Which you obviously, well you made obvious made you feel very uncomfortable because you study the marine fauna of our waters. So it clicked to you. What else? You over reacted obviously and made it a bigger deal then it was, it showed no respect to me making threats. Like honestly I would whole heartedly respect your intentions and thoughts about foreign corals. But shit man, only if I actually brought corals back here to austrlaia. I didn't do anything of that nature, only simply stated I will and then stated I was just stirring. Yet you went off onto another group, Darren's group and then stirred the pot even more. So who loses face because you over reacted; I do mate.