Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I've kept anemones on numerous occasions, I'm gonna keep it inside the net for a while, well for a couple months..will release it in the tank after I come back from overseas...so it'll defnstrly adjust to the tank parameters. It's a carpet anemone..so they don't move as much as bubbletips..and they hang around the ground so I should be okay.
A good way of containing the carpet in the position you want is to use a plastic container under the gravel. The edges of the container will confine the anemones foot and thus it will not move. This method has worked for me on many occasions

It is a good idea to confine the Haddon's anemones as they are exceptionally aggressive, are a top stinger and will pretty much consume whatever touches them, including non-acclimated clowns, fish, snails and pretty much anything else that can be eaten!

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
A good way of containing the carpet in the position you want is to use a plastic container under the gravel. The edges of the container will confine the anemones foot and thus it will not move. This method has worked for me on many occasions

It is a good idea to confine the Haddon's anemones as they are exceptionally aggressive, are a top stinger and will pretty much consume whatever touches them, including non-acclimated clowns, fish, snails and pretty much anything else that can be eaten!
Yeah I was gonna try that with some PVC but wasn't sure if it will actuslly work. They are sticky as hell on contact aswells. Guess I'll sell some, turbos or give them away, I've got heaps.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yeah I was gonna try that with some PVC but wasn't sure if it will actuslly work. They are sticky as hell on contact aswells. Guess I'll sell some, turbos or give them away, I've got heaps.
no, PVC is too restrictive. You need to give the foot room to expand and contract, otherwise you will cause it to MOVE out of the confinement. Something along the size of a rectangular "Chinese take-away food" container is perfect. Any smaller than this and it will not work. The anemone will affix to the bottom of the container and then it can be moved. Will need to fill it with substrate as they will not settle unless their food is in the substrate.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Btw, Haddon's carpet anemone can grow to 60 cm across. I have observed animals this size in both aquariums and in the wild. At this size, no animal in your aquarium will be safe. May be a good to ensurr you have moon lights on to stop animals bumping into it at night. Wouldn't want it to consume your Gramma.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Btw, Haddon's carpet anemone can grow to 60 cm across. I have observed animals this size in both aquariums and in the wild. At this size, no animal in your aquarium will be safe. May be a good to ensurr you have moon lights on to stop animals bumping into it at night. Wouldn't want it to consume your Gramma.
Thanks for all the info mate, well I decided to pop him out of the holding container and into the tank. Placed him in the front right as that's the place I've planned for it where it'll Eocene mod to high light and flow. I popped him in around 5 ish with the pumps to let it attach itself..also because my tanks barebottom. Have it nearly two hours to adjust..but when I turned the pumps on..well just the return which I turned down to the lowest setting..the anemone folds in half and looks odd. Even took out the wavemaker..I wanted it to rest against the rock and have half of its body on the rock and half on the glass..but I just checked and its slowly climbed and placed its foot inside a deeper crack within the rock work..hope this thing stays in that corner..if not..he'll need a new owner..

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
I don't know really..they are sand anemones..but I don't have any sand..and I've kept a smaller one before..and it stayed in the rocks..but with this one..I've got no choice..I wanted it to anchor at the base of my rock work..but looks like its climbing..

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
All mine only like rocks and my weir and even my skimmer body lol so I'd say they don't necessarily need sand

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I have 2 mini maxis, they were sold to MichaelBinns but unfortunately he doesn't live in an overnight area so we couldn't get it to him without risking its health

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
They're quite different in terms of their natural habitat..minimaxis are commonly found on rock that's why they don't mind the rock..with haddonis. It's like 2/10 which will reside happily in rock work and I guess you can I was gambling with an anemone..

@leodb89 I was thinking of mini maxis..but they're quite pricey for those things..they are nice though. I though you already shut down the tank also?

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
No..lol ones called a mini maxi carpet and ones a haddoni carpet..different name means different anemone basically..mini maxis are host for shrimps and crabs whilst haddonis are normally for clown fish..also interm sod appearance. They look really different if you've ever owned both.