Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Great advice @dr_schell unfortunately jimmy this one was a bad decision but we live and learn but we should really research before we impulse buy, I've had my fair share of these lol

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Finally..here's an updates fts shot of my tank..not looking the prettiest but its coming along nicely. Just waiting for the new additions to open up and then I'll take some photos. Thanks to @chimaera for shipping them to me.

@leodb89 sorry didn't get around to it earlier. Here it is mate.

image.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Haha yeah dude.
Nice rack ;)
Seriously best rack I've used..had eBay ones before but the magnets rusted because they weren't sealed. Te magnets on these racks took me shit long to detach..had to use a credit card to separate them. Well all in all I'm very happy with the quality of the rack and strength. It's full already. Think I might need another one

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Jimmy, it appears that you tank is starting to appear a little crowded!
Haha yeah dude. It's not quite actually. Just the anemone and two scollys and a mottle
Hammer which is really a stand out..but I've a good couple colonies of Zoas. It's about 1/3rd filled actually..but with fish that's all ill be keeping..two clown two bangais and a royal gramma..(thinking about pairing it though as I like fish in pairs) it will be stocked with heaps more Zoas and rics when I come back from my holiday trip.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yeah I reckon my tank can handle the bioload though. Levels seem to be in check. Just will test again in the following weeks to see how much it raises.
Jimmy, please remember that most of the animals in your tank come from the OCEAN. Even though your 'water' may be able to 'handle it', lack of room and associated stress has the potential to result in mortality. Remember that wild-caught fish do not easily recognise 'boundaries' in terms of tank walls as the ocean is HUGE. Where they can see, they can swim. This fact is often forgotten when we place them into our aquariums.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Sometimes you need to consider more than what your water can handle :)

I have 20kg in my 800L but I like a nice open scape, each to their own
Yeah I got 10 because I new it's be stocked more than usual and wanted enough bio filtration. Other than the skimmer and carbon I'm running. I think it should be enough. I also do weekly 25% water changes anyways. So it keeps the levels in check

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Jimmy, please remember that most of the animals in your tank come from the OCEAN. Even though your 'water' may be able to 'handle it', lack of room and associated stress has the potential to result in mortality. Remember that wild-caught fish do not easily recognise 'boundaries' in terms of tank walls as the ocean is HUGE. Where they can see, they can swim. This fact is often forgotten when we place them into our aquariums.
Yeah that's totally true but the only wild caught fish I think are the bangais but I'm gonna make sure as I got them off my mate. Both the clowns and royal gramma are tank bred. I've only gotten my fish from the same person besides the bangais so I'll see how these fellas do. I know it seems unpractical that I've stocked it like this but I do really like them but its not I'm neglecting them in any sense. I make ire they get fed properly. Make sure the water quality is good and that they are stress free in terms of fish selection..all my fish play nice

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yeah I got 10 because I new it's be stocked more than usual and wanted enough bio filtration. Other than the skimmer and carbon I'm running. I think it should be enough. I also do weekly 25% water changes anyways. So it keeps the levels in check
The bio-filtration will not be restricted to the live rock, the bacteria will establish everywhere. If you had sand, this would also enhance the surface available for colonising bacteria. good work on researching this, but you still need ROOM for the fish. You can have a tank filled with rock, enough to support a Regal Angelfish in your tank, but putting any wild-caught fish into a tank that does not provide enough room is likely to ultimately result in health and psychological issues to the animal.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
A good rule of thumb is too give every fish a number of Litres that you think is a fare life. At the moment your fish about about 10 litres of personal space each. as you have much live rock and corals that will sting. Kinda a battlefield.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Y
The bio-filtration will not be restricted to the live rock, the bacteria will establish everywhere. If you had sand, this would also enhance the surface available for colonising bacteria. good work on researching this, but you still need ROOM for the fish. You can have a tank filled with rock, enough to support a Regal Angelfish in your tank, but putting any wild-caught fish into a tank that does not provide enough room is likely to ultimately result in health and psychological issues to the animal.

Yeahs that's totally true mate, I'm not doubting anything you're saying but it does come down to sometimes, once it's bought. It's the best thing I can do is to give it the best life it can live inside my tank. My girlfriend bought the pair..and like most people..who have girlfriends..you're not just gonna act like a dick and say get lost you bought me fish. So that's why I have them..think I forgot to mention on here. If they don't do too well in the following weeks.,like you said. I csn simply rehome them. Got plenty of mates and family who can easily cater for them but I don't reslly want to as they were a gift..

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Y

Yeahs that's totally true mate, I'm not doubting anything you're saying but it does come down to sometimes, once it's bought. It's the best thing I can do is to give it the best life it can live inside my tank. My girlfriend bought the pair..and like most people..who have girlfriends..you're not just gonna act like a dick and say get lost you bought me fish. So that's why I have them..think I forgot to mention on here. If they don't do too well in the following weeks.,like you said. I csn simply rehome them. Got plenty of mates and family who can easily cater for them but I don't reslly want to as they were a gift..
wow your lucky to have a partner who goes on her own to an aquarium to buy you stuff. Does she have a tank too?

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
wow your lucky to have a partner who goes on her own to an aquarium to buy you stuff. Does she have a tank too?
Narh she doesn't, but she knows I'm really into th hobby though. Yeah that's why I can't just say I'm gonna get rid of them..anyone else in my position would defnstrly feel the same. She doesn't know about bioloads and the aquairum stuff. Not gonna blame her..it's my thing that's why.