Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
updates coming guys ive been super busy...got my mate to come over with his DSLR and took some awesome snaps with my TX10...

Colini is sumped at the moment i cant really get him eating, im lucky cos his huge lol bigger than i wanted...i also have something really special coming tomorrow night...i think

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Yeah, the colini are hard to get eating , especially to the point where they will compete with other fish in the display. IME they take ages to adapt to captive conditions - particularly bigger fish - but once they do, are not much different to many other Centropyge sp.

hth and good luck!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
yeha well its weird my golden i got eating fairly quickly and a sign he was on his way was picking off rocks and venturing around the sump and the colini has shown these signs and interests also which i guess makes me feel hes almost ready, although it is now coming onto 2 weeks so im getting a little worried :/

im not sure if im better off just throwing him into the DT to let him settle in there and hope he take a liking to my acans or begins to eat once in there, he will be the boss of the tank because hes the biggest and the yellow tang will be coming out tonight.

any thoughts on what you think the best plan of action would be?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
so heres my update...a few corals and tonight i will be fishing out a yellow tang, 2 cardinals and a clown to sell and make room for my new additions...one being the colini angel and the other 2 have not been announced, although they're coming tomorrow night :P

im a bit paranoid because i need to pull down my scape to catch this yellow tang and i know im going to upset a lot of the corals and most probably myself for not being able to replicate my scape...so i thought id post some pics at it looking good because it might look a bit weird after tonight...

if anyone has any thoughts on what i could do to make my scape better please post them because ill be up all night doing this so your input is greatly appreciated as i dont believe im going to be able to replicate the scape :(

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
a tang will be stressed as fuck in a breeder box man!

define late?
it will be fine in the sump though...i thought about the breeder box after i pressed post reply...and thought yeh na bad idea to say that..

i will sump him and check up on him, alternatively i can sump him then bring him tomorrow night?

tonight will be late i have 2 jobs to do after work and wont be home til like 9/10 then i have to catch them...sooo late is late-late if you know what i mean?

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Well here's my 2c. To be on the safe side rehome the tang first. Meanwhile, give the colini a feeder acan or trachy in the sump (not kidding).

My male took ages to recognise food in the water column, but now, a year later he assertively eats macro from a veggie clip. OTOH the little female quickly learned to compete, so I guess you could get lucky.

Goldens are usually picking at food in the shop... at least the ones from Vanuatu which seem to be collected well. That said, I assume your colini is from cairns , so he's been handled pretty well. Let him temporarily snack on the microfauna around the acan and eat it too if need be. Meanwhile try leaving assorted food on the ground nearby. After he gets the hang of frozen you can give similar food in the water column.

hth and good luck!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i did do all this with the golden but im just trying to think of ways to do it, my sump light is no where near strong enough to even keep xenia let alone acans, so i could put a feeder acan in but i dont think it will last long in there?

another person told me (when i was trying to get the golden eating) was to buy live muscles? put them in for around half hour and see if they take a liking?

its so funny i put food in there and lay and watch it...and it just sits still and stares at me like...ummm dude....im naked turn around..lol

@aussieant32

ill keep an eye on him in the sump and if hes getting edgy ill organise something with you, but with some nori and food im sure he'll be ok

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Neither showed interest in mussels (but yours might)...

However, they picked at some tiny scallops i found burrowed in the LR. Also, leave him alone when hes checking out new food. I know you mean well , but its probably stressing him out this early in your relationship . :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Neither showed interest in mussels (but yours might)...

However, they picked at some tiny scallops i found burrowed in the LR. Also, leave him alone when hes checking out new food. I know you mean well , but its probably stressing him out this early in your relationship . :)
i just turn into the over protective dad sorta thing and wanna make sure hes eating... would you recommend getting a prawn or something to see if he takes a liking? or even simply nori?