Reef Discussion

Mixing For Awesome Results.....
Hi Guys. Im going to let you in on a little secret that i have been sitting on. Do yourself a favour and order some Seachem Trace and also Seachem Plus... Mix them together and use it on one of your dosing pumps. Myself and @daveH has seen fantastic growth and polyp extention with this combo. I used to dose Acropower and i can not say i have seen as good results. The biggest plus is that the two bolltes combined at 500ml each (total 1L) cost as much as one 500ML Acropower. I would not have said anything but daveH thought its worth telling. So I am more than happy to let all you guys know. Cheap, effective, simple...

Hope you can give us some feedback as to what you guys find.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
@somethingfishy76 and I have been comparing notes since using this mixture for about a month or so.
We can't believe how much ALL the corals have improved in both our tanks. This really is a mixture worth trying.
Equal parts dosing.

reef-additives.jpg

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Have just ordered some, will let you know how I go. I don't use a dosing pump so I will be doing it the old fashioned way.Only problem I have is the quantities i need are quite large so don't think it will last me that long. I apparently need approx 40ml 2 x a week of each. Or would you suggest a 10ml every day ?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I just double checked what I'm actually currently dosing and it measures out to 1.25ml twice a day of the combined products and that's for a 100L (+/-).
That equals 17.5ml of the combined product per week which is slightly less than the 20ml that's recommended.
I could actually see gains in coral health with that dosage.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Do you guys dose them separately or have you thought about adding half of each to one bottle and seeing how that goes so that it only takes up one dosing pump (if you run it automated)??

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Have just ordered some, will let you know how I go. I don't use a dosing pump so I will be doing it the old fashioned way.Only problem I have is the quantities i need are quite large so don't think it will last me that long. I apparently need approx 40ml 2 x a week of each. Or would you suggest a 10ml every day ?
Where did you order from?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Where did you order from?
Guppies online. $15.37 a bottle. Bought 2 of each. Why do you ask !! He's always cheaper on all seachem stuff. Been using him for years when I had fresh water. Cheapest 1 lt carbon here in adelaide $44.50. Online guppies $26.00. That difference pays for postage. Rowaphos almost half price to stores here

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Fair enough, just curious :)

For good value carbon, check out forum sponsor K&J ;)
Been reading a lot about carbon recently. Appears with a lot of tangs seachem carbon is the only one I will dare to use. A lot of the bulk carbons are made from waste brown coal instead of quality black coal. Some suggestion hlle more apparent with the use of this carbon. Seachem is also bead shaped designed for reactor and thirdly 1 litre last 4 changes. That's a years supply for me at 250 a change. My hippo tangs have the best colour I have seen in any fish that size and have only ever used seachem. Not going to risk it or change it now. Lol. Even if I am wrong !!! Lol

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Certainly not, I love your tank!
Husband thinks I am too anal ! There is just so much to learn and a mistake can be very costly !! We didn't realize the money involved in saltwater until we did it. Probably should have started with a smaller tank. Less expense