Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
$120 with free delivery for a three channel doser.... pretty good!
Thanks for the link. I already have a doser just not confident on setting and mixing product etc. happy to manual dose for now. Will have to study it a bit further Lol

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thanks for the link. I already have a doser just not confident on setting and mixing product etc. happy to manual dose for now. Will have to study it a bit further Lol
Just do like I suggested before, just set it up somewhere and let it dose with water for a couple of days until you're sure it is dosing accurately to the size doses you need. Can't do any harm that way.
Once it's set up it will make dosing waaaayyyy easier.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
That's extremely interesting. I did notice that one needed to be refrigerated.
The results are pretty good but maybe the results could be even better.
Keep us posted with your results

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I've had a think about the dosing and I'm going to start using the advice from Seachem. (I keep both of them in the fridge anyway)
I need to dose 12ml of each over 7 days (100L tank). I would prefer to spread it out and dose evenly over the entire week, rather than 2 lots twice a week.
So to make it easy I'm going to dose 3ml of each on alternate days.
And because my memory is shit I have a button method on the fridge to remind me which one to dose. :D

Last edited:

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I've had a think about the dosing and I'm going to start using the advice from Seachem. (I keep both of them in the fridge anyway)
I need to dose 12ml of each over 7 days (100L tank). I would prefer to spread it out and dose evenly over the entire week, rather than 2 lots twice a week.
So to make it easy I'm going to dose 3ml of each on alternate days.
And because my memory is shit I have a button method on the fridge to remind me which one to dose. :D
lol,,,thats funny my memory is shit too. so I have marked the bottles with a permanent texta. Mon wed on one and thurs sun of the other... getting old sucks..lol. Let me know how you go. It seems to make sense not to dose together, I was putting 100ml in the tank it did seem to be a lot. 50ml 4 days seems a lot more sensible,

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Started re-dosing the "Seachem way" with the Plus & Trace today, see what difference that makes.
Still trying to get my phosphates down, will hopefully have my phosphate filter in about a week.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Started re-dosing the "Seachem way" with the Plus & Trace today, see what difference that makes.
Still trying to get my phosphates down, will hopefully have my phosphate filter in about a week.
Have you ever thought about using nopox. ? Done wonders for my tank nitrate & phos. Even let's me spoil the fish and over feed a little occasionally I run a phos reactor too. !

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Have you ever thought about using nopox. ? Done wonders for my tank nitrate & phos. Even let's me spoil the fish and over feed a little occasionally I run a phos reactor too. !
Yep, I've dosed NoPoX for ages.
In fact now that I'm manually dosing the Seachem stuff it's allowed me to put the NoPoX back on the dosing pump.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
@Lesley are you still getting good results with the dosing?
Yes , very impressed.Some of the corals are showing feeder tentacles that I have not seen in the 12 months having the tank. I am just wondering if I should still be dosing Reef Energy A & B on the other days like Red Sea suggested while using Nopox. Or am I wasting my money. I have seen more results in the trace & plus than I saw in 4 months of reef energy ? Do I need both ? Opinions please ?
I actually just sent you a private message hoping for some advice.

P.S when I was doing together(100ml) my skimmer would go nuts for about 10 mins. Since doing it separately it doesn't do that any more. Seachem informed me that it will only do that when what your dosing is not being utilized by the corals and if it does it again to cut the dose down slightly. But all good skimmer has stopped doing it now.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Things haven't changed much, the tank has really settled into cruise mode.
Still dosing the Plus & Trace, although manually now so that I can keep them refrigerated.
I dose 3ml of one of them one day and 3ml of the other the next day, and so on.
I only use my dosing pump for Randys Recipe which now has been fine tuned and has the tank at the parameters I want ( Alk - 10.5, Calc - 450, Mag - 1350).
I no longer dose NoPox and my Phos is steady at between .03 -.05 - which I'm happy with because that's the readings I get from the NSW I use and the tank isn't sending it any higher.
Nitrates are at 0 as usual.
I'm only running a small bag of carbon and a small bag of PhosGuard (that's all I have room for in the back).
As for the condition of the corals, all the stock is super healthy with strong growth across the range. My Blastos and Duncans have an amazing amount of new heads growing, along with the hammers which are getting bigger all the time. Zoas and Morphs spreading like wild fire.
I think the tank has reached a very stable level, I have no problems with Cyno or any hair algae. Coraline has got to the plating stage and has kept the nasty stuff away.
Very happy tank. :)