Reef Discussion

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
In theory yes but in practice (and maybe this is just a Sydney thing) the more you go away from the standard the more things just dont go to plan and it seems to end up even further from where you wanted it to be.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Custom tanks being exactly what you want. I dont know if a few friends and myself have just had bad luck, but it seems to be as soon as you move away from an off the shelf set up, it turns into a massive nightmare that goes on forever and costs three times what it was meant to in the first place.

Reactions: MTG

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The Red Sea S's that have just come out are a full fledged reef tank, starphire, sump, ato, hidden wall intank circulation, lights that can bleach acros etc.

But I cant help but feel your paying a bit of a premium for things that you would want to upgrade anyway like the skimmer and 10xt5's lights etc. At $4k done and dusted with everything but a chiller I guess its not too bad, but I get the feeling if this isnt your first tank you will always be wishing you did things from the ground up

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
How sexy are you looking at going? ie braceless/rimless, euro, single peice euro, starphire, polished edges, mitre joined, clean line silcon, multi segment base, bean animal overflow, coast to coast, closed loop .....

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
You just have to make sure you think EVERYTHING through or you'll be kicking yourself further down the track

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
rimless is a definite, not that worried about braces, starphire isn't really that big of a concern either. I am one of those people that look at a tank and would rather save money on the glass if it allows me to put more into the equipment

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Id be interested if there is other people out there doing these on a cheaper scale

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
it isnt as clean as this but I have a 80L tank that has this style of corner on them at the front. Several companies are starting to do them on smaller scales. Fluvals are nice looking and radius have a decent nano just out. You would think that once they get it right it wont be long until they make larger ones. Cant really see the edges in mine as I took it for another reason!

Attachments

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I say save up and buy everything when you are ready. Yes things like heaters, pumps etc haven't changed much over 2 years, but I'd expect the price will fall and you never do know what developments will come along. I don't see the point in sitting on equipment for 2 years. Just find a way to save that you can't dip into!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
hehehe ok let me rephrase that, I wondering if there are people doing these on a cheaper scale not in a bow front :p

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
look realistically I can save, I just get really tempted! I am thinking of getting my wife to set my up an online account and then just give me the account number etc. That way I have no idea of any passwords etc and cant be tempted!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
As you know I have a bit of a thing for them and am horribly bias, but the money you are talking your in Elos territory if you dont mind the wait....