Reef Discussion

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Haha nice, though bet you didn't mention the other thousands you will spend on equipment? She probably thinks that's the total cost =0p

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
well, the wife said she wanted to talk about the tank yesterday, we were away for a romantic weekend for her birthday and I thoigt it was about to be ruined, for me anyway, here comes the dreaded no.

but

she is going to buy it for me! She said give her 6 months and she should have it together. So all I have to do is buy the equipment, so I guess being only 6-12 months away I can start getting some equipment in over the next few months. I aim to start getting things like pumps etc in as I go and wait until the end to get the best skimmer I can. I am pretty much going to start watching the shops for bargains on the brands I want.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Wow, nice! Especially with you thinking she was going to smack the idea down, haha. Have you decided on the CADE then?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
yer i think so, not seeing anything I like as much for the price. Got to work out things like pumps, not 100% sure exactly what I need. As a minimum I will be running a skimmer, the return and rowa. Not really got my head around what sizes etc I need

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
id go with a cade (non starfire model)
well priced. fully setup just add skimmer, lights and pumps
look amazing, much better build quality then 95 percent of tank builders ive seen in aus.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
just read the whole thread. the opticlear models even better if you can afford it! i have one of these without the sump, mines 60x45x45

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
pumps i would allow $1000
skimmer $800
lighting 2K?

coming in under budget with nice quality gear :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
said earlier I have the lights so all good there. Can I ask about the 1k for pumps? Are you including powerheads in that?
basing that on two tunzes and controller. roughly 2x6055's and a controller localy is close to that price. and i would flow mod them :D

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
heres a non opticlear 2 foot cube cade at my LFS, this one has the sump etc.
build quality is excellent
forthread.jpg

not a fan of the silver tho i prefer my black

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
for skimmer i would go with a decent brand. do it once do it right!,
ones to consider, bubble king, ati power cone, royal exclusive.
they retail from 800-2000 for your size tank,

for return pump it really depends what you wanted to run of it and then purchase accordingly

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I think I am wording my questions wrong as I never seem to get the answer I think I would.

I am talking about pumps, not skimmers or powerheads, pumps. I am likely just misunderstanding, I was under the impression that each piece of equipment, like skimmer, reactors and the return, all needed their own pump? If my tank is 300l, do I just need a pump for the return that circulates 300lph? Or is there a desired amount of turnover suggested?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
the word you are looking for is "return pump"
as all the the items listed are in a way a "pump"
for the return pump generally i go for roughly a 2000LPH for just sump back to display (this ends up being a lot lot less due to head loss, but then again that all depends on the type of pump you use. if you use a high quality pump it will often have a decent head and also lower power usable so you wont need as large of a pump.

will you be running the sumps return straight back to the tank or will it be tee'd off to a reactor/external skimmer etc?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I think you may have missed the tank I am getting as you said if I can afford it to go for the opticlear version, which is the one I said I think

http://www.aquascapedesign.com.au/products.php?product=CADE-Marine-Tank-Set-HL1200

So the sump I am going to be using is obviously the one that comes with the tank. I think I will run the reactor separately. Is it best if the skimmer has its own pump or is it ok to use the return pump for both?

Sorry for not being clearer mate, appreciate it can be frustrating