Reef Discussion

V

'vspec'

We like to call that over confidence the Rope-a-dope.
It makes misdirection all that easier..lol

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
most expensive fish for me was a Emperor angel, $80 in a juvenielle state, once home it started turning to its adult morph.... wish I still had it. was a casualty of the tank drama. even though there was absolutly no sign of the fish being in stress. one of my twin girls called me inside after they got home from school and he was dead. which is weird as it was healthy, happy eating and looking great only a few hours before that..

the Clarions look nice to but I think a queen or blue face would be a good, plus MUCH cheaper alternative. but its always the case you make a comprimise on a certain selection and ya can end up hating it for a very long time.

spent $50 twice on coral beauties first I think was just gotten in at the LFS and could of been on the way out already, second though, no real idea on why.

the thing with fish is that no matter what they can die and sometimes for no good reason at all. when my bro had the pet shop (mostly aquarium freshwater, I did get marine going there but he shut the shop down just when it was getting right.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
woah!

that is a nice one but does it come with pure bred certification?

in saying that I havent seen one with that sort of colour before. I know there is the false gramma aswell. how big is this one shane? it is a nice specimen.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Cheers jashay - some better photo's will be up later. The photo above was taken in the bowl when I was acclimatising him - he has now settled in the tank nicely and is already out swimming about. He is only a little one, about 45mm in total length. This one, Gramma loreto, originates from the Caribbean whereas the False Gramma, or Royal/Bi Colour Dottyback (Pictichromis paccagnella) originates from the Pacific, including Australia.

This is a Pictichromis paccagnella
bicolorDottyback1.jpg

I have had a Bi Colour before and they can be a fairly pugnacious fish whereas the Royal Gramma are fairly peaceful. They are fairly easy to tell apart - the Royal Gramma has a line through the eye, a spot on the front of the dorsal fin, and coloured fins.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
$450 for an achillies, could have waited and got one a little cheaper but im impatient.

$140 for the mystery wrasse was my second most expensive. Probably my favorite fish in the tank, they have an awesome personality.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
They also don't tend to fade in colour over time, unlike the Royal Dotty ;)
Kept in a low stress environment, fed a good diet, and under good lighting I've never observed any of the Dottybacks to lose their colouration. Hell, in proper pairs I've only observed them to intensify colouration.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
can there be different breeds of them ben? ive heard they fade to. but i have often seen some in shops that are allready fading. sometimes a lighter colour ?

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
can there be different breeds of them ben? ive heard they fade to. but i have often seen some in shops that are allready fading. sometimes a lighter colour ?
There's "three" (I say three, it's actually two with a speculative subspecies that's right now just considered a regional variant) species we'll find here sold as Royals - Pictichromis paccagnellae which is the true Royal and ranges through most of the western Pacific, the Indonesian variant of P. paccagnellae, and P. coralensis which is a GBR endemic named for its range near and within the Coral Sea. In what I've seen, most in shops tend to be the Indonesian variant which does make for questions in regards to collection and shipping.

P. coralensis do appear to be much more likely to hold strict colouration than P. paccagnellae. Though, as with anything of this sort, mileage will vary.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
The other fish that gets mistaken for the royal gramma is the Brazilian gramma (most LFS are completely unaware of their existence so will incorrectly sell them as royal grammas). A VERY similar looking fish that can be distinguished by the lack of a stripe through the eye as seen on the royal gramma. They tend to be slightly more aggressive.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
130 on a flame angel that kicked the bucket two days later ! But that was a long time ago when I knew nothing of what I know now :-)