Off-Topic

V

'vspec'

Ok so the run down points so far. for @eventingpony, and @everyone so we can advise.
  • Salt branding or NSW ~ considering geo location, artificial looks the solution
  • Refracto and baseline testers
  • Recommending RO unit, or sourcing bulk RO water for your salt mixing and top up water
  • No sump without a full custom job on the stand - not impossible, but without some skills, a hassle
  • Tubes need replacing ~ very easy and cheap
  • No weir or hang on box ~ saying the tank hood and rim will interfere. (External coast to coast is possible, combined with a mod on the cabinet, but once again, a hassle without the skills of know how)
  • GFO and GAC additions for water polish duty. (where would you put this, canister, or does it include one of those filtration rails at the back of the tank?)
  • Canister option available ~ I'd normally say ditch it, but with all the above taken into account, its pending. Plus without skim ability, buying a skim attachment maybe the only option.
  • Wavemaker or simular to increase flow.
  • Current heater, ok, possible 2nd for redundancy.
  • Contacts needed in new south wales that are reliable, both for ongoing mentoring and knowledge of appropriate supply networks.
  • Friendly information/links needed for the best introduction to marine
What have we missed?

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Hello eventingpony
I wasn't familiar with your system ether. This is it correct, just bow front and black?
awww.petmart.co.nz_images_stock_bigimages_24633_1.jpg

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/documents/rectangle12001500.pdf

Thats it, its the Aquience 1200 RT (Rectangular Tall) - It is black. No bow front - just standard tank. Unfortunately not set up for marine though, so looks like I will be making some adjustments.. but I hope I can make it work.
Its a really nice looking setup and suits the house really well.. so fingers crossed! Will learn my lesson from this and take my time getting everything together to make it work properly.

I don't want to start with a setup which wont allow me to have a healthy tank!

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Ok so the run down points so far. for @eventingpony, and @everyone so we can advise.
  • Salt branding or NSW ~ considering geo location, artificial looks the solution
  • Refracto and baseline testers
  • Recommending RO unit, or sourcing bulk RO water for your salt mixing and top up water
  • No sump without a full custom job on the stand - not impossible, but without some skills, a hassle
  • Tubes need replacing ~ very easy and cheap
  • No weir or hang on box ~ saying the tank hood and rim will interfere. (External coast to coast is possible, combined with a mod on the cabinet, but once again, a hassle without the skills of know how)
  • GFO and GAC additions for water polish duty. (where would you put this, canister, or does it include one of those filtration rails at the back of the tank?)
  • Canister option available ~ I'd normally say ditch it, but with all the above taken into account, its pending. Plus without skim ability, buying a skim attachment maybe the only option.
  • Wavemaker or simular to increase flow.
  • Current heater, ok, possible 2nd for redundancy.
  • Contacts needed in new south wales that are reliable, both for ongoing mentoring and knowledge of appropriate supply networks.
  • Friendly information/links needed for the best introduction to marine
What have we missed?

Missed, perhaps the fact that I have made the typical noob mistake getting this tank.. :/
Although I am willing to listen and learn!

V

'vspec'

Its ok, your not going to get flamed here, so dont beat yourself up over it.
We've all been in the exact same shoes at one point. Good guidance from us, and some quality commitment from you, and you will be surprised, anything can work! Your last line said it perfectly. Couldn't ask for better.
Welcome to your first marine impulse buy, we roll with it and pop you out the other side wiser, so its a plus ;)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
So am I best to sort out the overflow, sump, skimmer, return pump + power heads/wave maker first?
Yes :)

Most tap water in Australia is treated in some way so, to be honest, you are better off not using it if you can avoid it. In your situation I would be putting an RO/DI filter close to the top of your shopping list - VaultBoy may be able to offer some advice. Any phosphates in the water will inhibit coral growth and promote algae growth, two things you don't want, and you are much better off restricting the amount going into your tank rather than trying to get it out later.

There are a couple of good OLF shops around which may save you some travelling - Age of Aquariums offers fixed postage of $7.50 irrespective of how much you buy.

I am afraid I may have already done the wrong thing slightly with this tank/stand
Maybe, but I am sure that you can make it work. It may not be perfect but you have got to leave yourself with an excuse should you ever wish to upgrade to a bigger tank in the future :p

V

'vspec'

Hey, anythings possible these days. Give me a film crew and a handful of fellow reefers, and we just created the first reefuge road trip ;)
Besides, there is a great zoo up there, I would fit in perfectly.

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Ok fantastic, will start having a look into RO/DI filters to see what I can find. I have never even heard of these before, do they attach to a tap and filter water as it goes through, or do you somehow have to have them permanently attached to the tank system? (probably a dumb question sorry!)

I like the idea of working out a good shopping list for when I start to purchase things for the tank. Think I will wait to work out exactly how the water + cycling will work before I commit to purchasing anything more.

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Hey, anythings possible these days. Give me a film crew and a handful of fellow reefers, and we just created the first reefuge road trip ;)
Besides, there is a great zoo up there, I would fit in perfectly.
The zoo is fantastic.. haha! :D

V

'vspec'

Only stupid question is the one not asked.

Usually stand alone. Tap > filtering > storage

If you direct connect (and it has been done to the holding res/system) Your relying on other systems of control ~ If it fails, it dilutes your tank and kills everything. Ether that or makes you famous for finding a new species that can live in freshwater:confused:

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Ok Fantastic, Don't know that I have a heap of space for storage, but sure I can organise some storage areas.
Don't think I am up for discovering new freshwater species.. haha So we might just see if I can organise an RO/DI filter and store some water instead.

Open to suggestions for appropriate/recommended equipment for this tank. I will do some measuring tomorrow and work out if I can remove the back of the hood rim to allow for an overflow box.
Then to start looking into RO/DI and skimmers next I think?

Might be time for bed, think they might still expect me to turn up to work in the morning, haha! :D Although reading this is way more exciting/interesting!

V

'vspec'

Sleep on it kiddo.
It also allows time for others in the know to come flooding into your thread with content ;)

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
I've modified a system similar to this for marine before and TBH it's not all that hard besides the fact you'll need to get 1 or 2 holes drilled into the back of the tank. I'll draw up my suggested design later today.

Regarding your LFS not stocking anything for marine, surely they would be prepared to order in anything you require provided you pay a deposit for them to do so? The products are coming from the supplier(s) they already use.

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Thanks, I will come back to this, this afternoon and see what I can work out. I will need to start my shopping list and get some prices so I can work out what I can afford now and what might need to wait a couple of weeks to save for.

I really want to try and do this, I don't want to fall back to my freshwater aquarium, as I want to try something new and since a little kid have wanted to have my own marine aquarium.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Here's A link to a post I made about drilling and over flow box's as I have just gone thorough retro fitting an old tank. http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/threads/new-tank-up-grade.3507/ sorry there is a bit of reading but a lot of helpful links and sujestions by other forum members.

Sorry another link http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/ is a good web site to start looking at prices for equipment. Just one of many web based stores.

In regards to RO water you can usually by it by the liter from water purifier outlets (the people that fill your 20l drinking water drums) Its just another option to save a large out lay of cash strait up. Not all suppliers have good quality water though. You would have to test the water. Alternatively you live in the country I am sure you would no some one with large rain water tanks .What sort of budget are you working with?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I would call a RO or RO/DI system a neccesity on a reef tank. I tried without it for a while and "brown" takes over the tank!

I can supply you a system that is top quality for cheaper than anywhere else you are likely to find! For a 4 stage manual shut off system you are looking at $190 plus shipping. Send me a pm if you are interested and I will give you the full specs.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
This is the basic design of what I did. One hole drilled in the back that aligns with the middle of the sump. Around this a small overflow box is built. The plumbing runs down the back ot the tank and into the cabinet either through the hole that already exists in the back of the cabinet for power cords or you may have to drill a hole to suit.

The, drill holes in the 2 middle supports, through these holes pass the pipe that connects the return pump. The pipe connects to a bulkhead in the side of the sump.

The outlet of the pump connects to a pipe/hose which again passes through the hole already in the back of the cabinet and runs up to the top of the tank. You can either use elbows to run the pipe/hose over the top of the tank, or you can drill a second hole to connect the return to.

Click on the image below for a larger version.

1200 with sump copy.jpg

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
.Give me a film crew and a handful of fellow reefers, and we just created the first reefuge road trip ;)
hmmm......now wouldn't that make a brilliant reality tv show? a group of forum people who know each other only from online meet in person over a marine tank make over/problem solving deal .........the visited person could take them to their local lfs which everyone then rates on knowledge/set up......could even have a seafood cooking section at the end where the visited person provides a meal and everyone scores it on 1-10....
*thinks about this for a bit*

V

'vspec'

This is the basic design of what I did. One hole drilled in the back that aligns with the middle of the sump. Around this a small overflow box is built. The plumbing runs down the back ot the tank and into the cabinet either through the hole that already exists in the back of the cabinet for power cords or you may have to drill a hole to suit.

The, drill holes in the 2 middle supports, through these holes pass the pipe that connects the return pump. The pipe connects to a bulkhead in the side of the sump.

The outlet of the pump connects to a pipe/hose which again passes through the hole already in the back of the cabinet and runs up to the top of the tank. You can either use elbows to run the pipe/hose over the top of the tank, or you can drill a second hole to connect the return to.

Click on the image below for a larger version.

View attachment 4811
Yup, This could work and its quite easy to implement.
Just to over clarify 100% here, anti clockwise flow diagram with external pump option > returns on the right hand side.
3 glass holes max
4 wood holes max
custom mini weir (internal add-on)
custom sump (depending on end cabinet space ~ the PDF didn't show dimension)
+ needed. plumbing (unions not shown of your render though bud, one would assume you used them)

Given spacing calculations, a budget, and @eventingpony or a friend of hers to roll up the sleves for some DIY, its completely do-able!

haha, @MichelleShocked ~ doing justice to your title my girl, your sitting down thinking sh^t up and loving it! :p