Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
in this size tank you should not need to dose at all, weekly water changes should be enough.
As usual I don't agree with this point - dosing requirements totally depends on what you are keeping in a nano tank. If you have 3 clams and SPS, then water changes aren't going to cut it. I have a 2ft tank with 2ft sump and my alk is a major issue that I need to dose for - no idea why, but it is always low.

Otherwise yes, test your water, Salifert kits are relatively cheap (high initial investment to get them all) and accurate, add slowly, increase patience ... but most importantly, enjoy!

Your scape looks great, nice work!

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
To be fair mate my point is based on this tank and being that it is currently being stocked with LPS and softies.

I think it more important to base input to a new hobbyist based on his tank, what he is keeping and what he should be doing now, not about what he might considering thinking about adding in the future.

So yes, if you are going to put clams and SPS in there, yes dose the tank as required. If you are going to be doing as you say and just try and stabalise the parameters and keep some LPS and softies, test the water but really dosing should not be required

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
As usual I don't agree with this point - dosing requirements totally depends on what you are keeping in a nano tank. If you have 3 clams and SPS, then water changes aren't going to cut it. I have a 2ft tank with 2ft sump and my alk is a major issue that I need to dose for - no idea why, but it is always low.

Otherwise yes, test your water, Salifert kits are relatively cheap (high initial investment to get them all) and accurate, add slowly, increase patience ... but most importantly, enjoy!

Your scape looks great, nice work!
thanks mate! getting a lot of valuable feed back!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
To be fair mate my point is based on this tank and being that it is currently being stocked with LPS and softies.

I think it more important to base input to a new hobbyist based on his tank, what he is keeping and what he should be doing now, not about what he might considering thinking about adding in the future.

So yes, if you are going to put clams and SPS in there, yes dose the tank as required. If you are going to be doing as you say and just try and stabalise the parameters and keep some LPS and softies, test the water but really dosing should not be required
Yep fair point and totally agree, dosing not required at the moment. Was just disagreeing with it as a general statement. I may or may not get defensive about nano tanks sometimes ;)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
you??? Defensive about nanos and picos????!!! Surely not??

:p

hahaha.

I just remember how confused I was when I looked at dosing for the first time, granted most have more smarts than me :rolleyes

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
My 2 cent would say that no new reefer should consider dosing at all. Everything they need is included with water changes. Further more they should not consider sps either so even more reason not to dose. My reason behind this is simply and purely that I see so many people do the opposite and what they are unconsciously doing is throwing money into thin air. Husbandry is the key and if you look at 90% of newbie journals it the one thing that there is a lack of. Lets keep in mind that just cause theres a lack of whining and screaming; we are dealing with living creatures here.

On a side note @chimaera from what I know of your system (not much and only what you post) sounds like you have somthing within your system that's buffering ur alk. Again only from what I can read, dosing could just cover an underlying issue.

And to the newbies @chimaera journal would serve as a great guide relating to researching before buying, stocking levels (fish), husbandry, etc contrary to other journals that include fish that grow to the size of the tank they're housed in, dead coral and fish on a weekly fortnightly basis, and all with the latest and greatest hardware.

I can pretty much guarantee that a lot of these great, new,clean, stocked, colorful setups that we see on the net arnt gonna look like that in 6mths time. Did I go off topic??? Lol

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
how would i test for parameters? the nitrogen cycle is pretty much perfect. no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. how do i test for things such as magnesium, calcium and alkalinity? those would be the most important for lps/sps corals correct? i'm already dosing red sea reef foundation ABC+ and might upgrade to something called reefroids which everyone raves about
this is what my tank looks like now. View attachment 13863
Hey @daniel borja, tank looks good, just wanted to clarify my thought for you. Natura Salt Water is the same that keep the great barrier reef alive. Everything you tank need is in it. My opinion is that (with you current tank and corals) reef foundation is a waist of your time and money. I would buy/have test kits for ammonia, nitrite (if tank is cycling) and nitrate there after. Regular water changes will suffice that you have adequate Cal, Alk, Mag, Etc. Allow you tank to mature continually testing nitrate and stock with coral that are easier to keep. Keep in mind that as you ad more fish the bio cycle will change and need to adjust so test the basics again would be advised especially in a 2ft. At a later, later date start learning about Alk and Calcium and get these sorted (dosing if required) then Magnesium, then phos, etc, etc. As you do this your ability and selection to keep other corals will grow. Good luck

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
And to the newbies @chimaera journal would serve as a great guide relating to researching before buying, stocking levels (fish), husbandry, etc contrary to other journals that include fish that grow to the size of the tank they're housed in, dead coral and fish on a weekly fortnightly basis, and all with the latest and greatest hardware.
That definitely wasn't the case for my first tanks (two picos), jumped in too quickly with those as many others do.

Yep all good points about dosing and using NSW to start with at least.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
Hey @daniel borja, tank looks good, just wanted to clarify my thought for you. Natura Salt Water is the same that keep the great barrier reef alive. Everything you tank need is in it. My opinion is that (with you current tank and corals) reef foundation is a waist of your time and money. I would buy/have test kits for ammonia, nitrite (if tank is cycling) and nitrate there after. Regular water changes will suffice that you have adequate Cal, Alk, Mag, Etc. Allow you tank to mature continually testing nitrate and stock with coral that are easier to keep. Keep in mind that as you ad more fish the bio cycle will change and need to adjust so test the basics again would be advised especially in a 2ft. At a later, later date start learning about Alk and Calcium and get these sorted (dosing if required) then Magnesium, then phos, etc, etc. As you do this your ability and selection to keep other corals will grow. Good luck
thanks so much for all the info! i really do admire those beautiful reef tanks that every single one of you have! my tank is only two months old and am probably rushing into things. how long do you reckon i should let my tank mature before putting any sps? im only considering the montis because people say they are easier to care for than there acro relatives. i bought a leather coral today and am getting my hands on an acans coral from @Priscacara.
the plan is to build a nice reef setup with softies and lps (sps in the future) with a scooter blenny and clown (already have), a purple fire fish, a flame angel, a peppermint shrimp and a hermit crab. your thoughts?

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
:welcome @daniel borja :)

Where abouts in vic are you? Whats your normal lfs? There are quite a few vics on here and your already getting the good advice trick is listening to it and not buying the cool stuff lol this is where i normally fail
i usually go to williamstown aquarium as it is closest. ive also visited aqueus in st kilda and mentone aquarium. thinking of taking a trip down to reeflections aquarium. apparently they get their hands on really good stuff, are reasonably priced and also good with advice

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Best word of advice with asking aquarium stores for advice is to basically cross and compare what they all tell you and sus out who's giving you good information and total bullcrap.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
yeah thats a good point! williamstown aquarium give good advice and always try to sell me high quality stuff. always red sea haha. a bit pricey though

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
just thought id share an update guys! got two new corals from @Priscacara and are doing well in the tank. going to leave it as is for 2-3 weeks before i get anything else. the next buy looks like a toxic green hammer. thinking of getting an elegance coral with blue tips but would love your opinion on this matter. yay or nay in a 2ft? also, im thinking of taking that bit of rock wedged between the other two rocks and gluing it to the rock to create a platform for a future montipora that i want to add into the tank down the track. thinking of breaking it a little bit and sticking it with reef safe glue. the plan behind it is to create a cove like structure. by sticking that thin piece of rock onto the bigger rock, i can take out the two pieces of live rock underneath it and put either the hammer there or possibly get a type of favia. any other suggestions as to what kind of corals i can put in there would be greatly appreciated.

heres some photos for you guys. enjoy!

acans.jpg

Acans from priscacara. looking quite well.
blasto.jpg

blasto with several new polyps since i first got it.

torch.jpg

torch already showing new growth.

reef2.jpg

the rock i was talking about earlier is the thin rock