Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

You are a nice fellow, I know you're trying to help. Sorry, I am excessively sensitive myself atm.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
You don't need to apologise to me.

I don't know or understand anything you are going through personally so the words come across exactly as they are typed, not as they are meant.

I will try to keep what you have said in mind when I read your future comments :)

And you are a very nice lady :)

With a cool dog :P

E

ezza

The short summary is that I feel like I'm losing my mind from stress that seemingly never ends.

Thanks for being so helpful. I am listening and taking it in. I respect all of you guys and know you are very knowledgable.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I believe he is climbing because your tank is too new for him to have anything to eat in the substrate. Not sure if you are providing supplemental food for him, but if not I would look into it. I neglected my stromb thinking he was getting along okay, but I guess my tank was too clean and he died :(

The scape does look great - a bit odd with the bright white of the Texas Holey vs the Live rock, but in time that will even out I am sure. The shape is the most important and I like that.

E

ezza

I don't mind the whiteness, but yes, it will change. Asquith aquarium used holey rock in their display tank. I don't even realise until after I'd done mine and mark pointed it out. You can't tell.

I've been feeding from day one to help kick the cycle along but also because of the critters that came in with the rock. The stromb only climbed that far once. I think he got carried away. There is rather a lot of detritus around and algae too. Everyone is busy. I saw that my little crab friend actually shed his shell and a hermit crab shed too. My BTA was a bit droopy. I just finished y water change, I calculated the quantity of salt needed to keep the tank at the same level it was. I have more technical data now on the saturation point/ grams per litre to achieve individual whatevers of salinity. I'll up it if necessary.

I also understand the reason why things like nems generally need older tanks. I did all the tests and calcium for one is a zero. So these essential minerals are lacking. Scary. I understand the Tropic Marin has extra minerals, but I added the Red Sea ABCs and again, he perked right up. I will just keep dosing them and hopefully it will be good. It makes sense given the RO has nothing much in it. Experimentation is how I learn, I know now and will invest my efforts in improving the minerals.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
what are you using to check your salinity?

calcium couldn't be zero thats impossible. whats test kit are you using?

E

ezza

Atm I have a coralife hydrometer. I have salifert tests for everything else. I will check again tomorrow or Tuesday... Or just later tonight depending how late I'm up and how bored I am!

E

ezza

I tweaked the power head direction last night and lookatthis!!!! *bounce*

image.jpg

Extension :) mmm

E

ezza

A few new pics:

image.jpg

What are these propellers on the ends of the twigs?

image.jpg

Are the pink dots eggs?

image.jpg

Who is that handsome man?!

image.jpg

It's Mr Blenny!

image.jpg

This is the same pink lump I posted not long ago, it looks a bit like an anemone today! Is it? It's different from my aiptasia though. (Late note: 29th August; I think this is a hitchhiker bubble tip anemone. It appears to have approximately 20 tentacles which is consistent with juvenile BTA's. I hope it grows and lives happily in the tank, it's a cute little fellow!

Last edited by a moderator:

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Atm I have a coralife hydrometer. I have salifert tests for everything else. I will check again tomorrow or Tuesday... Or just later tonight depending how late I'm up and how bored I am!
Throw out the hydrometer and get a refractometer not worth the risk !!

Check those levels again because calcium will never be that low

E

ezza

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Some pics of the life bursting from the tank. No idea what most of the stuff is that appears on the rock.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
That's some great live rock you have there! I spot sea squirts, feather dusters, and a million types of algae.

No clue what the 'propellers' are but could be hydroids.

The final pic, albeit blurry, looks a bit like a pseudocorynactis - orange ball anemone. Generally not reef friendly as they are very sticky and can eat 'stuff'.

E

ezza

i need to get me some new live rock - mine is almost devoid of life like this.
Thanks both of you! It was rock from the Keppel Islands by way of Asquith Aquarium. Mark can do overnight shipping I believe. I was lucky and unlucky. I was there the day after the rock was delivered but wasn't ready, I went in toward the end of that week and got these awesome bits. I missed some fantastic pieces. I was happy for smaller ones and we picked the best of what was left. I knew to look for busy looking bits.