Tank Journal Archive

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Wow its been a while since my last update... Quite a few additions have happened thanks to the members here.

Fluffy morph and Xenia courtesy of @daniel
Zoa frags from both @Sarg and @DavidS
2 x Duncan colonies, countless fluffy morphs and a few red morphs from @Gwithian (absolute champ!)
Can't forget @MTG and the wicked yellow rhodactis

No pics as yet guys, but they'll be coming as soon as the DIY leds are done (the previous pics were only 3 leds to see what it would look like). So far I've finished soldering up the 12 RB leds, but I still have another 20 leds to go...
As for layout, here is what I'm going with right now.

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_LEDLayout1.jpg

As you can see, its kinda understandable why I'm taking my time on this one. Each colour besides the RBs (they use 2) have their own drivers ,and a shitload of wiring being looped through the ghetto heatsink (you'll see what I mean when I take a pic of it). Trying to keep all the wiring to 1 channel per row is proving to be a mission, but thats the whole point of a DIY isn't it? ;)
All to controlled by an Arduino controller (I'll start that once this one is finished), that will hopefully be controllable via Android phone (when I can be arsed to find a decent code).
The Android side is sorted after a crapload of net surfing, but its the code for the Arduino side which is giving me a headache.
Might post a couple teasers over the next few days if I get a spare moment, although that's not likely as I know how much kiddy toy assembling I have to do :banghead (next time I'll throw them the tools and they can do it themselves... Well, its good to be optimistic lol).

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Hmm feelin sick looking at the pics lol my sleep deprived brain isn't handling it to well lol

Seems to be looking good though!!

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Quick test run of the leds. 2 channels (moon and UV) aren't running and no optics yet.
Now time to clean up the excess wiring, and to make the housing.

Before
ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_20121220_211523_zps7f330da0.jpg

After
ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_20121222_024025_zps92efba2a.jpg

Not a bad colour shift. I quite like the overall aesthetics the leds put out.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I can't take the credit for this one. Without @MagicJ, it would have been the normal 6RB, 6B, 6CW, 6WW with 4R and thats it (that would've been way too much red after seeing how much just 2 leds do). I'm glad I listened to his advice of led choice and numbers of each.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Still not convinced you need the CW, but can't argue with the colour you got out of them ;)
When the Arduino is finished I'll be able to ramp all the channels to the final spectrum I like. All of the channels on the test were running at 100% (800mA) so I'll be dimming them down when they go over the tank.