Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hmm tough one - it does like from that last pic like the spread isn't reaching the edges of your tank ...

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
I think I will leave it be as is....
I am very happy with the lights and there performance (also the cooling fans have never come on as it doesnt get hot at all)
The shadow area on the left is just the back side of the rock formation - no corals there just 1 inch of sand between the rocks and the tank side...

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
Busy Busy day today....

all the occupants of the Quarantine Tank were introduced into the Display Tank over the course of a few hours today...

Tank now houses:

1 Lawnmower Blenny (loves digging holes and moving substrate much to my dis-pleasure)
1 Coral Beauty
1 Bangaii Cardinal (2 more to come in approx 1 months time hopefully)
1 Flame Hawk "Arthur" (named after my recently passed away Grandfather RIP Pa)
1 Orchid Dottyback
2 Tank Bred Ocellaris Clowns
1 Cleaner Shrimp (MIA since 3/10/2012)
3 Strombus Snails
1 Small Starfish
1 Small Urchin (marble sized)

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
Righto not so good new to report........

So far whilst keeping marine I have had 4 occy clowns....
1 is still alive (bigger)
1 is MIA (bigger) no sign on the ground or in the tank/sump

the 2 before 1 went into the sump and got stuck to the return pump & the other Jumped out to walk on the floor boards... :confused:

might give up on keeping 'Nemos' :(

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
That really sucks. Keep going with the clowns, they are cool fish. If I put my hand in the tank now they are always trying to get in to see what I'm doing.

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
3 RIp to 1 Alive makes me unhappy for the moment....

Thinking it will be better to have a large group of Bangaii instead :D

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
With large group of Bangaii make sure you only get 1 female otherwise you'll have more RIP.

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
Macca - As it stand now I only have 3 Bangaii (final 2 arrived this morning from reef secrets) will leave it for a month at least before deciding to add any more or another species of fish.....

How is your hole-in-the-wall going mate? I first saw it on the MASA forums - looks the goods mate! ;)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
While the Bangaii are sexually immature it will be OK but as they begin to spawn (and this is from memory) it's the females that will fight.

My tanks going good now - got rid of the algae issue. Naerly got the equipment where I want it - just ened to upgrade to LED's (which won't be for a while) - I've been keeping this TJ more updated than the MASA on - http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/threads/maccas-in-wall-slice-of-the-ocean.4124/

Good luck with it.

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
Very nice on the temp/humidity controller mate, will be interested to see how it works in the long term to stabilise things.....

Hmmm just did a quick google search, seems bangaii males have 2 vents and females only have 1 on their bellies near anal fins.....

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Pretty hard to determine when they are immature.

Are the one's you have in QT currently small or large? As they get large (and once you've done it a few times) the jawline is a really good give away as to the sex.

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
they are about the size of a 20c piece..... not too fussed on sex just didn't want them attacking & killing each other hahaha

On a good note the Remaining Occy is now hosting in the Nem :cool: I guess it didn't like the torches it started to host it hahaha

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
Caringbah
Its my little slice of reef!! Love sitting there watching the tank with a cuppa in hand!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
There is about half a dozen of us that own up to being in the shire and everyone seems to help everyone out really well, we take turns are guarding the bridges to keep leodb89 and LEG-IT out but they still manage to find their way in

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
we be like dora the explorer

We can't go over it
We can't go under it
Oh no! We've got to go through it!"

231149-dora-the-explorer-backpack-adventure-windows-screenshot-ooh.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Busy Busy day today....

all the occupants of the Quarantine Tank were introduced into the Display Tank over the course of a few hours today...

Tank now houses:

1 Lawnmower Blenny (loves digging holes and moving substrate much to my dis-pleasure)
1 Coral Beauty
1 Bangaii Cardinal (2 more to come in approx 1 months time hopefully)
1 Flame Hawk "Arthur" (named after my recently passed away Grandfather RIP Pa)
1 Orchid Dottyback
2 Tank Bred Ocellaris Clowns
1 Cleaner Shrimp (MIA since 3/10/2012)
3 Strombus Snails
1 Small Starfish
1 Small Urchin (marble sized)
MIA? give some decent food in the tank like hikari or nls pellets....everything goes crazy for those you might pull them out of hiding ?

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
MIA presumed to be KIA as absolutely no sign of it has been seen, no shedding, no feelers, no sights at all :( he was only small about 35-40mm long.