Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Doesn't look great but it is far from dead (assuming that is its current state)!

Has it eaten recently?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I'm afraid I think it's malnourishment also. I was feeding it about 3 times a week with mysis shrimp, a marinara blend and coral snow which was about as much as it would eat. It fed the same for the last 6 months with no bad effects and only just recently took a turn for the worse. Sometimes it would eat, sometimes it wouldn't. I'll try and keep feeding it but I don't think it's accepting anything at the moment.
Are they a coral that is known to recover? Or once they get this bad it's curtains.
The tank was also getting Red Sea Energy AB.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I just tried to give it a feed of mysis shrimp and it seemed to respond. It seems to be ready to respond to feeding when the lights are off, it's feelers are out and moving. I'll just keep trying.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
A couple of new additions to the tank.
What is the correct name for this green bubble tip coral I just got?
new-coral.jpg
It's nice to see that it's looking better in my tank than what it did in the LFS.

Here's 3 of my 5 new peppermint shrimps out for a scavange.
shrimps.jpg

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
These are one of my blastos that have been with me from the start (1st coral I got actually) through all the drama of setting up a new tank and then moving to another with a dozen scape changes in between.
My question is, is there any way to frag them? they have smaller ones growing to the left, but the main ones seem to be getting really crowded or will they just keep growing new heads by themselves?blastos.jpg

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
A couple of new additions to the tank.
What is the correct name for this green bubble tip coral I just got?
View attachment 6136
It's nice to see that it's looking better in my tank than what it did in the LFS.
Looks like an elegance, looking ok but the tips should be slightly thinner (they look a bit swollen) - where have you got it placed? Mine is buried in the sand in medium light and medium flow, takes a few bits of brine every second day.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It's about 2/3 up the tank. I checked out some pics of an elegance and I'm not sure it is. The others in the LFS were bubble tipped like that also and the guy showed me a large one he had in the display tank and it was on the rocks and towards the top of the tank.(He told me the name of it, I've just forgotten :(). If it is an elegance they say to put in the sand and don't let it touch any rock.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Interesting - it looks like an elegance/BTA hybrid! I would have said 'swollen elegance' too.

Those blastos are nice - fragging would just be bone cutters/chisel at teh appropriate point I would guess. But don't frag while the polyps are too young ... let them grow out a bit.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I went back to the LFS to double check on what it is and it is an elegance (they said Jardini).
So I've done some research on them and have found conflicting reports on where to place them.
Some say they should always be placed in the sand and never touching any rock, others say they should be in rock and kept somewhat vertical. The (large) one in the LFS was half way down a rock face in the display tank.
Mine is placed towards the top of the tank, should I place it lower?
Also is there any reason why it's not fully extending at the moment? It's been in the tank since friday.
As you said it looks very healthy, is there something I'm missing?

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
If it won't open up, it's not liking the placement - try different flow and lights for a day each spot until you find somewhere it likes. In the wild they are usually in the sand in mild/medium flow, but depending on your lights it ay need to go higher - I've seen a pvc pipe capped and filled with sand placed up high on rocks work too. Try to feed it a little something, maybe brine shrimp or mysis. I use a small pipette and gently squeeze out a few bits onto each head, closes over them and hoes it down.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I just googled "swollen elegance coral" and it ain't good news. They can be infected and are usually on their way out. I did move it to the bottom of the tank in the sand and with a gentle flow, just to see if that helps at all.
I might have to get Dr Schell to weigh in on this one too.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Honestly Dave, I think it is very healthy - it is just not fully extended. You can put them on the sand or on the rock work, its up to you and upright is best IMO. Just give them enough space from other corals as they have a decent sting on them. It is uncommon, but they can also sting people too and have been known to on the odd occasion. They can handle lower light levels and also higher light levels - to me that means I can take advantage of that and have prime spots for the higher light loving corals. Main thing they are touchy about is flow - they prefer lower flow or indirect flow.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Oh and watch out for advice regarding Elegance corals from the Phillipines and American people...... :p

The Aussie Elegances don't have the same problems

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
That's good to hear. It's out of any direct flow now and away from other corals (as much as you can be in a 60cm nano!!). Wait and see. ;)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Dodged a bit of a bullet today. I had some live rock in my backup tank that I've had for 8 months that was left over from my last aquascape.
I decided to break it up into chunks that will fit in the middle chamber of my refuge, just to put it to good use. I tested the water it was in before I broke it up and all the stuff like ammonia and nitrates were good. I broke it up and put in back in the backup tank (luckily) and when I tested the water this morning the rock had released a fair amount of nitrates. I'll have to wait until the levels come down before I put them in the main tank. Lesson learnt.