Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Well, I got some live rock yesterday for the Yasha to get it up and running again. Did a quick ammonia test to get a baseline on the cycle and the ammonia is about 1.0ppm already. I'm using the water out of my main tank when I do a water change to do a water change on the Yasha.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Lost another turbo snail the other day, had it for about 3 weeks and it was getting around and doing its thing, then I found it upside down so I turned it over. A day or so later its upside down again and empty. I would say the peppermint shrimp had a good feed.
Same thing happened to the last one I had.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I've got both tanks running nicely now, I moved some rock from the bigger tank that was covered in Pulsing Xenia into the Yasha (shit that stuff can grow fast). Moved the new rock that I'd been curing into the bigger tank ready to put some new corals in.

photo1.JPG photo2.JPG

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Quick update - The main tank is doing really well, looking good with the new rock. Everything is in great condition.
The Yasha is full of Xenia ( and still growing). I'm looking for a cheap skimmer to go in the Yasha, a Dymax Xp-30 or something similar.
In the new live rock I put in the main tank, I have spotted about 4 or 5 really small circular rims a little bit apart with bright green centres. They have grown a bit in the couple of weeks, as soon as they get to a bit more size I'll get some pics to try and see if anyone can work out what they are. I'll be getting some more corals for the main tank in a couple of weeks, looking forward to that.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Got a new coral the other day. Not quite sure of the proper name - anyone know it?
It's really good to take a coral home and have it open up fully and look better than it did in the LFS.

new-coral.jpg

Also, with acropora, I'm not sure how to tell if it's doing OK. The two pieces I got the other week were hardly colourful.
One has lime green rings on the end of it's branches which I gather that it's doing OK. It also has tiny hairs on it, but is still quite white.
The other was a very pale blue, but looks white under my lights and has less hairs than the other.
I have them under full light as I was advised.
What are the signs of them do doing well? It's so easy to tell with softies.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
It's a trachyphyllia, can't remember the genre but for some reason I feel like @MagicJ will know ;)

It is tricky to tell with SPS, but I would say polyp extension ('hairs'?) and colour are the best indicators. Then again some real SPS buff will tell you better than me!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I've got the Trachyphillia high in the tank and under full light, it seems to really like it there. It's gets fuller as the lights come up during the day, so I guess it's in the right spot.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Yes, Trachyphyllia geoffroyi.

David, these don't need a lot of light as they are usually collected from 30m+ - they can be placed higher but have a read of this:

However, the one thing I do have to warn against for sure is the possibility of “light-shocking” a specimen upon introduction to your tank. Any of them can thrive under intense lighting if given an extended adjustment period, but you never want to buy one and then immediately place it right under a metal halide lamp, or anything else of similar intensity. Instead, you should keep a specimen under dimmer conditions and slowly give them time to adapt to brighter light. This can be done by simply placing them at the bottom of a deeper tank and then moving them up higher in steps over a couple of weeks if you choose to keep them off the bottom. Or you can use a few sheets of screening material placed between the lights and the coral to block out some of the light, and then remove the sheets one at a time to slowly increase the amount of light that hits the coral.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It was under about the same amount of light at the LFS and had been there for a while. It certainly respondes to the middle of the light cycle more than when the lights are dimmer.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Whoo Hoo :). I finally forked out for a chiller.
I got a Hailea 130A, so far it's nice and quiet and working well.
I thought I had the heat problem solved with the aircon I had in my office (where the tanks are) but they had to be on night and day lately just to keep the tank somewhere near the right temp. Plus a couple of fans thrown in for good measure.
The chiller is going to be way more economical.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Love the new chiller :) Love it even more since getting through 24hrs and the plumbing didn't spring a leak.:rolleyes
I do have reef tank nightmares with new equipment that have the potential to display my tanks contents on the office floor. :(

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Lol every time I clean the skimmer I get up a few times during the night just to make sure it hasn't overflowed, only happened the once during the day after a clean but enough to make me keep an eye on it. Luckily I just dream about coral placement and what I can fit in where :)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Well the clowns are changing their address tomorrow.
The female has become super aggressive, caught her today really attacking the blenny and the male clown.
I've got the yasha all setup ready to move them, and their torch, into in the morning.
I'm also having an interesting time with my red goni. It was looking great for a couple of weeks after I put it in and then suddenly it fully retracted for about a week, didn't look like it was dying but wouldn't extend.
The last couple of days it has slowly been coming out about a couple if mm's and I have been target feeding it. I know they can be really hard to keep but I think it will come good.