Reef Discussion

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Solenoids dont fail :rolleyes

You make a good point! I will investigate options at work... Possibly float valve of some sort but I will see what I can come up with!

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Yeah, that makes sense. Just routinely check the solenoids because if one is working it will be near impossible to tell if the other has failed.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I just thought about that too...

I think I will just run a single solenoid and a nedle valve to slow it to a steady drip then I will know if it doesnt shut off and it wont be running fast enough to cause any major disasters if it goes un noticed for a little while...

As I see it there is no more risk with a solenoid straight to the tank as opposed to a pump.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
if i was working in a lab i would worry about it but our RODI is not as pure as lab grade... We still measure in TDS or EC when we start aiming for resistivity i will start wasting the first bit... these things waste enough water already!

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
The sockets arrived this morning and the float switches are due in tomorrow (give or take a day because they're coming from the UK) which means I should have all components by the weekend. I'll solder the sockets to the PCBs and cut the grooves in the jiffy boxes over the weekend and hopefully have packages going out early next week.

Can anyone confirm whether 1/4" is the right fitting size for RO hose? I need to get some John Guest valves and want to make sure I'm ordering the right size because they aren't cheap.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Almost all domestic RO systems will be using 1/4" tube and fittings. If they turn out to be metric and you have trouble getting the fittings let me know and I can get the right parts for you.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
says who? I never have... What is the reasoning behind this?

Says every RO manual I've seen and Peter from PSI. I can definitely see a difference in the TDS meter in the first 30secs or so of use.

Each to their own I guess, but I know I will continue following "best practice"

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
It probably also depends how frequently the unitis used. On an ATO it shoulod be running a few times a day which would stop most of the problem that flushing would prevent.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I should mention that my system is not an "off the shelf system" and is used a lot.

I get 0.03 mS when testing a sample straight from the tube with no waste... Maybe best practise is a good idea but I am happy with my results ;)

shane_h

Feb 3, 2012
1. firechild - 1x PCB with sockets, soldered
2. Joshwaaaa- 1x PCB with sockets, soldered
3.Shane_H - 1x PCB with sockets, soldered

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Hey Shane,

The PCBs have already arrived and I have some more sockets on order (another 50 were shipped out in 12/09) so will have more ready soon. If you want what I've done for other people which includes the PCB, sockets, jiffy box and a sticker that shows where components plug in, from memory it came to $11.50.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Addendum to my last post: the sockets arrived about 10min after I made the post so I have plenty of supplies to be able to offer more ATO units.