Tank Journal Archive

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Its a rock anemone thats either met the wrath of a vortech or was roughly handled by the collectors, either way it looks like its split down the centre, not too happy at the minute, as I purchased it before it was even placed in a tank I never got to see it opened up properly to notice until today

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Does it look like its edges are shredded or like a solid lump of meat? ? If so its best chance of surviving is to cut all shredded but off so that it is a solid piece. If you do decide to clean it up try to keep it neat and tidy.Take note of its mouth, foot and body and be delicate around its mouth. An iodine dip wouldn't hurt either along with constant but general flow. I got the others that came in that night and they seam to be fairing well. GL

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
its a solid lump of meat but looks like its been sliced from the edge to the centre, im unsure what to do at the moment, frustrating

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Hard to say as each is different. Here a Agnew pics. Pic 1 would be a goner, roting possible infection; and I'd throw it before it effect something else. Pic 2 was chewed by a tunze, spoiled part was removed and left to heal. This pic would have been about a week or two later as you can see its healing and on its way back

image.jpg
image.jpg

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
You want it to look like a health specimen that you have just cut into two with ONE nice clean cut/slice

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Ok, if its as u described (clean cut from centre out) without fluffy bits, I may not worry. A dip could still be a good idea though. Your gonna have to gauge it, if it looks better day by day then leave it. If not then think about plan b.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I don't know enough about Rock Anemones, but have read that you can't just cut them in half to propagate like you can maxi minis. Then again if the mouth is intact, it still has a foot which holds on to the rock (?), and it is not mushy/soft/rotten looking like Salty's first pic, then I'd say it has a fair chance of pulling through. Don't give up hope quite yet!

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Woke up this morning to gonto work chwcked up on it, not looking good one half of the circle seems to be deteriorating, if I cut it off id literally be left woth half a nem, half its mouth would be removed.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Might be better than letting the 'rot' spread. But will let Salty advise as he's worked with these before.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I reckon its the reefing gods mate. You hyped a new purchase up. They don't like that.

1. Never share your excitement about a new fish or coral until it has been quarantined for two months, introduced successfully to your reef, and coexisting happily for at least a year. If you brag about your new purchase or share photos sooner, it will die. The gods do not want you to feel excitement or joy. Only when you are bored with this acquisition is it acceptable to share it.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/04/19/archives-appease-aquarium-gods/#ixzz2SeAroD2K

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
that sucks mate! must of spent a few $$$ on that one too. nems aren't cheap :( good luck with it though.

you-can-do-it.jpg

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
afraid it doesn't matter. They take their wrath out on the coral, not the person :(

Hope it comes good mate, sucks when something really nice dies before you can enjoy it