Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
stolen from http://reefbuilders.com/2013/04/19/archives-appease-aquarium-gods/

The gods of coral reef aquariums are wrathful. They do not appreciate any display of confidence, comfort, or excitement for the hobby. You must respect them to succeed in this hobby. Here are some rules I have learned to follow that helps me avoid their wrath:

• Never share your excitement about a new fish or coral until it has been quarantined for two months, introduced successfully to your reef, and coexisting happily for at least a year. If you brag about your new purchase or share photos sooner, it will die. The gods do not want you to feel excitement or joy. Only when you are bored with this acquisition is it acceptable to share it.

• Never name your fish. If your adorable child gives any of your fish a cute name, tell that child he/she has just sentenced that fish to a horrible death. It will emotionally scar them, but those scars will protect the fate of future fish acquisitions.

• Never give coral frags to a friend with the intent of creating a backup resource for tank crashes….Your tank will crash. In fact, the gods will destroy your friend’s tank as well, to make an example. Instead, act like you are giving out frags just for the hell of it. Keep your motives secret.

• Never go on vacation. If you decide to go relax on a beach with your family for the weekend, your tank will crash. That calcium reactor, that has been running flawlessly, will now clog and explode. Then as the water being pumped to it drains onto your new hardwoods, the top-off pump will replenish with gallons of kalkwasser. You will come home to a dead pickled tank.

• Always ignore your tank. When you are too busy to even think about your tank, it will thrive. Your Bangaii cardinalfish will barf beautiful babies into your refugium. That finicky pearlberry Acropora will triple in size. These positive trends will inevitably renew your interest in reef aquaria; and you will suddenly want to tinker. As soon as you do, the reefkeeping angels of death will be at your return pump.

• Never compile a list of “Must-Have” fish or coral. They will turn out to be the very organisms that are impossible for you to keep. You could have a Domino Damsel on your wish list, and it will succumb in a tank where an Orange-Spotted Filefish is thriving on flake food.

• If you are smart enough to use a quarantine tank, it must be ghetto and nasty. If your quarantine tank resembles some people’s display tank, your fish will get sick and die. If it is undersized and covered in algae, it will heal your fish of all things.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
@Salty and @MichaelBinns

im not too sure on rock anenomes and they're characteristics, but if one half is looking bad and the oher side is intact, would simply cutting in down he middle (which seems was half done already) not encourage the nem to rebuild itself?

i know there are some nems that cannot reproduce all their organs would be good to try and find more info on them...it makes me ask the question, was it cut when you received it? could the collectors have tried forcing it to reproduce in the water so they had a second one to keep there to encourage reproducing to increase availability?

if the answers no to al this and it cut in the tank or something i would see if they can reproduce their own organs, then finish cutting it off where theres no meat then read up whether they will reproduce where the rock is or if you would need to dremel the rock also so that it can rebuild itself (if its type does that) hard to explain what i mean hopefully you get what i mean?

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
@leodb89 I like your thinking, I was reading up lastnight about fragging and reproducing etc and couldnt find a straight answer tho which is frustrating, would be nice if I could chop the deteriorating part ofd and keep the other half astho I had just fragged it in 2, the dremel part I dont understand tho, do you mean dremel a hole in the rock and place it inside?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
no i mean im assuming their name "rock anemone" means they primarily stay on the rock and dont wonder off for a better place so i thought if you dremelled the rock where the part thats under the weather is, then it might encourage the nem to move across the rock as it would appear to the nem as a new rock?

whats the actual name of the nem, so i can do some research with u

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Oh yeah I get you, the small rock its on at the moment has 2 holes drilled in specialy for it so if it didn't like one it could take the other, wishful thinking on my part, its foot is either damaged or really small im not sure.

The nem didn't come with a name I literally cought a glimpse of the colour when It was in the bag at the shop and said i want that! I was just told its a rock anemone?

P.s appriciate your help!

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
nemcontainer.jpg

here is how its looking at the moment, hope you can atleast see what a beauty it once was!! i put it in a container away from all my fish and inverts as i saw my flame angel picking at it, im sure this wouldnt be helping the poor nem, still unsure if to take it out of the tank completly, seeing that good half and how awesome the colour is makes me want to keep faith, fingers crossed i guess, il be gutted if it just dies, its not even the $$ that bothers me @daniel borja its more so the fact il probably never come across one of these with such awesome colour :(

what are your thoughts @Salty

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
If the anemone is still holding fast to the rock, it has a chance of pulling through. also, if it remains turgid for most of the time, this is also a good sign. Anemones have remarkable powers of regeneration. As long as your water quality remains good and adequate flow around the anemone is maintaines (to carry nutrients and oxygen) the prognosis for this animal is good.

Just as an aside, my first anemone got sucked though a powerhead and shreaded. Remarkably, this animal recovered and I still have it to this very day (some 15 years later!)

Don't give up on it and keep it protected from your fish and inverts!

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
If the anemon is still holding fast to the rock, it has a chance of pulling through. also, if it remains turgid for most of the time, this is also a good sign. Anemones have remarkable powers of regeneration. As long as your water quality remains good and adequate flow around the anemone is maintaines (to carry nutrients and oxygen) the prognosis for this animal is good.

Just as an aside, my first anemone got sucked though a powerhead and shreaded. Remarkably, this animal recovered and I still have it to this very day (some 15 years later!)

Don't give up on it and keep it protected from your fish and inverts!
What does turgid mean chris? Its holding to the rock and Is in a tray with holes out ofnthe way of fish and inverts and ive target fed reefroids, is there anything else i could be doing?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
if it will accept food, feed it small pieces often. Not sure of the species and its ability to produce food from light (ie not sure if it contains symbotic algae and therefore not sure if it has any autotrophic potential). therefore, hedge your bets and feed it if it will eat. Remember to remove uneaten foods so that they do not lead to secondary bacterial infections to the damaged area

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
try feeding it a very small portion of tood. If the food sticks to the tenticles, a feeding response is evident and the animal may be able to consume the food. Suggest trying a small piece of raw prawn (most anemones species consider this as food)