Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
View attachment 14613
here is how its looking at the moment, hope you can atleast see what a beauty it once was!! i put it in a container away from all my fish and inverts as i saw my flame angel picking at it, im sure this wouldnt be helping the poor nem, still unsure if to take it out of the tank completly, seeing that good half and how awesome the colour is makes me want to keep faith, fingers crossed i guess, il be gutted if it just dies, its not even the $$ that bothers me @daniel borja its more so the fact il probably never come across one of these with such awesome colour :(

what are your thoughts @Salty
Do you have a bigger version of this pic/ Would be good to see it close up as the pic looks to be good quality.

Doesn't look as bad as I expected from your description - almost like it is closed in on itself rather than actually ripped in half?

As mentioned there is far less info on rock anemones compared to others, but if that were mine I would be fairly confident of it pulling through okay.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Hey @MichaelBinns. Form you pic, it doesn't look half as bad as it sounds. Species is Rock or Flower Nem." Epicystis crucifer". These fellas are pretty tough and will most time take care of themselves. I'd only be concerned if you start to see signs of infection or as previously stated shredded flesh. In theory, yes you can slice these in half however there is a little more to it so I would just jump in a butcher one. As you said it like a knife was place in the centre and sliced outwards; if the now "ends" are supported by "foot" - good. If the or a end if not supported and flapping in the flow, keep an eye on this as this would be the weak point and where issues will start from. This would also be the area that I'd remove if it got to this.

Regarding feeding, as the good doc said is pretty much spot on, especially the point about adequate flow to stop possible secondary infection from setting in. These fellas are photosyn., but don't require as much light as say a BTA. Witouth actually seeing it its hard to say but I prob would'nt feed at this stage but since you have, have you seen it try to invert to take the food to its mouth? If so continue feeding once a week. If not, I'd back off the feeding. When it came in it was intact and looked good so not sure as to the cause but just keep an eye on infection. Lastly as I said, from you pic it looks ok (assuming that fuzzy centre is just image focus and not fuzzy flesh). Yes the coloration is rare and oh. don't stress, pretty certain your nem wasn't on gods "to do list", well this week anyway ;)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
jesus that thing is so nice!

i hope it pulls through just gotta stay positive...real interested what something like that would be worth, PM if you like?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Saw in chat you said no change to the nem - does that mean no worse either? I'd take that as a good sign ...

Firefish still getting on with everyone and not trying to ride the carpet train?

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Saw in chat you said no change to the nem - does that mean no worse either? I'd take that as a good sign ...

Firefish still getting on with everyone and not trying to ride the carpet train?
i cut off a piece of the nem that was just hanging in the flow so its a little smaller, the bit thats left looks ok and it managed to close up on a mysis shrimp i fed lastnight but since its only got half a mouth i dunno if it actually ate it? to be honest im not expecting it to make a recovery :(

on a better note your filefish is doing awesome!! seems to be loving the tank, no bullying, no hiding its always out in the open swimming with my dottyback, really cool addition to the tank :) thanks chim!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Don't give up on the nem yet - if it closed over food then it is almost certainly managing to eat something. It'll pull through, have faith.

Glad the fish is doing well now he's in a suitable home :D

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Seams like your on top of things and all is progressing well. Never a fun task cutting down a coral to help it survive but just remember that your doing it to help and not harm. Fwiw I got one like yours so, fingers crossed, soon they'll be two.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Thats awesome man lets see photos of yours soon, have you had any sucess reproducing them as you have quite a few I assume? Ive done all I can but its SLOWLY getting worse imo :( im spewing, didn't make my usual trip to reeflections today ernie wont be impressed

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Just a few pics I have handy, this guy is about 50c size and is getting blue tips as it grows.
image.jpg

Two newbies I got
image.jpg

Crap photo but this like yours, green frill red centre. Very bright.
image.jpg

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG
IMG_3685.JPG
IMG_3712.JPG
IMG_3634.JPG

Picked up my new toy today so been having a little play with it, this are the only photos out of about 100 that are somewhat post worthy lol, i think i better start reading the manual :P

tanks looking ok at the moment, had my first loss recently, just happened to be the nicest piece i ever got, the red rock anemone, took the wind out of me a little bit and made me loose interest in the tank for a few days.

i plan on moving the green hammer thats in the sand to the lower left hand side of the bommie, putting the scolly in the hammers place, putting acan frags around the bottom of the righthand rock structure and a nice clam inbetween the morphs and the zoa rock. not sure what to put on the right hand rockstructure as it may look a little busy? opinions appriciated, once ive added those corals il be adding a redline cleaner shrimp and just letting this tank do its thing

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Hey mate, sorry to hear about the nem :( it defineatly takes the enjoyment out temporarily.

The red star should be right. It's probably just giving them a clean :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Shit news about the nem ...

But the rest of the tank is looking great, love that top hammer. Your plan for coral placements sounds great, similar to what I would do! Could you put a couple of SPS frags on top of the right hand zoa rock (assumign that is the one you mean)?

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Never good loosing anything dude. Try not to let it get you down.
yeah sucks but oh well, hoping i one day come across something else as rare for the tank, i just wanted one really stand out piece. glad you managed to get one tho il just have to stare at photos of yours when you get some good ones :P
Shit news about the nem ...

But the rest of the tank is looking great, love that top hammer. Your plan for coral placements sounds great, similar to what I would do! Could you put a couple of SPS frags on top of the right hand zoa rock (assumign that is the one you mean)?
yeah im talking about the zoa rock on the right, i just dont want to make it too busy, i want the bommie on the left to be the dominant one