Tank Journal Archive

Cosby

May 14, 2013
The missus just saw your Goby. It's been added to my fishlist. :)

Love the tank, too!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Definitely getting the hang of the camera! Those fish look great.

Do you ever see the pistol with the watchman?

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
@dr_schell thanks for the kind words, glad the tank has your tick of approval ;) you should make an emotion for doc approved tanks haha

@Cosby which goby mate theres two!! Both are equally great in my opinion! Each brings a different charactor to the tank, really happy with my fish selection and the way its looking, turning out nothing like my origional plan haha.

@chimaera do you like the one of your old goby? Seems to be loving the tank, always posing too easiest fish to get a good photo of. When I "accidently" flick sand in the cave he comes out and cleans and sits there for a while after astho hes just admiring his hard work lol, but not all that often. What about yours? Similar behavior? ?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yeah mate the fire goby looks great, very healthy and happy!

My pistol is out a lot, actually - often leaves his cave to explore the 5-10cm outside of it particularly when I turn the pumps off to feed. Seems to be constantly pushing that substrate up the hill of his entrances (he has two entrances to his cave, lucky shrimp).

Cosby

May 14, 2013
@Cosby which goby mate theres two!! Both are equally great in my opinion! Each brings a different charactor to the tank, really happy with my fish selection and the way its looking, turning out nothing like my origional plan haha.
The watchman. He is very cool.

I have a Royal Gramma right at the top of my fishlist, and yours looks brilliant. How's it's temperament in amongst the others?

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
The watchman. He is very cool.

I have a Royal Gramma right at the top of my fishlist, and yours looks brilliant. How's it's temperament in amongst the others?
its good, doesnt seem to bother anything in the tank, infact all of my fish seem to get along really well lol, the royal gramma and the fire goby never leave each others side

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
@MichaelBinns, judging in the size of the pelvic fins, your Royal Gramma is a female. Males tend to have larger, more 'showy' pelvic fins and are much larger in general than the females
Dude, you know a heap load, appreciating the knowledge, I definitely wanted a pair..but I only got one as I didn't want to buy two of the same sex. Any more info on sexing them mate?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
interesting! thansk for that, think i should look out for a male? :p
Michael, after comparing your gramma to that of Jimmy Dang, it appears that may potentially be a male, although the pelvic fins still appear relatively short. Have a look in JD's TJ and compare the pelvic fins.

E

ezza

Introduction:

Michael here, new to reefing, i have kept FW tanks for around 2 years now and have always wanted to take on the SW challenge, i bought my tank almost 12months ago but wasnt able to set it up as i knew i would be moving house numerous times that year, finally the time has come to set it up!

Reefing Since: January 2013

System Objectives: To create simplistic clean looking nano that demands your attention, with one centre piece coral and a select few to compliment it.

Type of reef: Mixed

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 1st Feb 2013.

Display Tank Dimensions: 18" x 18".

Display Lighting: Illumagic - Blaze series M-45s.

Hood or Rimless: Hoodless & Rimless.

Sump Design: 2 Chamber sump with bubble trap.

Filtration: Carbon Bag.

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW.

Display Water circulation: MP10-ES.

Return Pump: Eheim compact 1001.

Skimmer: Tunze 9002.

Evaporation Top Up: Manual.
My chihuahua just disliked this post!! I am so sorry. I undid it. He's not a big fish fan, he just likes to eat their food.

I personally am quite enthralled and looking forward to reading the whole thread.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
@ezza haha its all good i didn't even get the notification for it :P
i hope your dog liked the rest of the TJ tho, in all fairness to the pup it was quite boring in the beginning! :)

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Oath..you make me want to buy a pair now..but I've gotta resist adding anything until I get back from the states. Wow hardly see rocks covered like that in red moprhs, only ever them green ones.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
this tank is now fully stocked as far as fish go!

Current list:

FISH
Red Flame Angel (bossman)
Pair of Perc Clowns
Royal Gamma
Fire Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby & Shrimp pair
Blue Chromis (want to give this away but cant catch it for the life of me)

Maybe slightly overstocked? hoping i can catch the Chromis soon and then it wouldnt be too bad? opinions welcome.

Inverts
Fromia Starfish
Hermit Crab x 2
Turbo Snail x 5 (breeding)
Stromb Snail
Also getting very close to being fully stocked with corals too!!! just a few precious spots left to fill, im thinking a few torch's in the mix, a nice blasto, and after getting my De Ja Vu Zoas from vpreef ive now got a zoa addiction and want a nice contrasting garden of zoas in the forground, and then it will be time to sit back and enjoy the tank :P probably start playing with dosing etc once i get to this stage, still need to do more research!