Tank Journal Archive

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
The second one could be a fungia but its on a skeleton like a hammer? The first one isnt tho looks alot more like an anemone I need to get a better photo but its in an awkward place @chimaera

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Fungias do have skeletons ... and as young tend to be on the rocks. As they grow they move onto the substrate.

Here is a fungia showing its skeleton:
ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh254_Reef_d_Up_Aquarium_Corals_Rescues_IMG_0004_1.jpg

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
The second one is definatly a fungia in that case :) I might try move the first one into a better viewing spot so I can work out what it is. Thanks pete

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
No worries. Might even be able to work it out if you can put up a higher resolution picture of the snap you already got.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Fungia sp., looks like a mummy rock. As these grow they will eventually drop off (or you can pop them off) and another will grow.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
so tank was looking awesome today, glued some corals into the places on the rockwork as i had planned, all corals looked happy and huge, cleaned all the class till it was spotless and all the algae on the overflow and powerhead everything was shiney and clean, thought i would change the carbon over and then take a FTS shot a few hours later when the water would be CRYSTAL CLEAR, turns out i didn't rinse the carbon enough and now my tank is all cloudy :( anyone ever had this? i assume it will clear up in a day or two? no FTS today unfortunatly :(

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
I dont use a reactor I just use it in a filter sock in the sump under the overflow, was thinking about getting one but was told it wasnt really necissary?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I use a sock full of carbon too, I rinse it first for sure. If I can be bothered, in a jug of RO, if not then just rinse under the tap.

Will definitely clear up soon ;)

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
The carbon dust is literally everywhere I cant even see the back of my tank, not sure what to do? Still leave it or is it time to start panicing?

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Filter sock may not be fine enought to catch the dust ? If you can see bits of black settling in your sand, ricks, etc I would If you havnt already remove the carbon and rinse till water runs clear, don't scrunch Or grin the carbon in its bag cause it will just keep running black.turn pumps off and let it settle and the Do a water change, syphioning out the settled dust. The rest should sort itself out.