Tank Journal Archive

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
Aqua one ar 380 nano
I have been running my aqua one ar 380 for 4 weeks and have just added a new aqua one marine blue/sunlight light and hoping it should be ready soon. :)

Attachments

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Until your cycle is complete - at least a few weeks away most likely, possibly more.
- put in your live rock
- test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every few days (you should first see ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate or combinations of these)
- watch the diatom bloom (everything will turn brown)
- add a clean up crew - snails, hermits etc
- test some more
- when those three measures are all ZERO, then you can consider adding some coral and fish

Please, please do not add them before this is completed ... your water at this stage is toxic and chances are they will die. Even if they survive, it is like putting them into the sewer for a few weeks.

C

Cycle

Until your cycle is complete - at least a few weeks away most likely, possibly more.
- put in your live rock
- test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every few days (you should first see ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate or combinations of these)
- watch the diatom bloom (everything will turn brown)
- add a clean up crew - snails, hermits etc
- test some more
- when those three measures are all ZERO, then you can consider adding some coral and fish

Please, please do not add them before this is completed ... your water at this stage is toxic and chances are they will die. Even if they survive, it is like putting them into the sewer for a few weeks.
Thank you for the help will use it
Do you have clowns at the moment what do you feed them

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Clowns eat everything-are piglets-feed mine mysis,pellets;rotifers;lobster eggs;cyclopeeze-basically they eat whatever I feed the tank

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Clowns eat everything-are piglets-feed mine mysis,pellets;rotifers;lobster eggs;cyclopeeze-basically they eat whatever I feed the tank
This! They are definitely the piggies of the marine world!
Too soon to start testing for these things. Cycle your tank first as per Chimaera and test for the parameters he suggested
+1 also - the other tests will come further down the line and depending on which corals you want to keep.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
My last additions to the dt were 2 small clowns, I was so worried about them getting belted around in the flow as well as what I could get them to eat. Fully agree with Firebird and Chimaera, they are pigs! The smallest of the two eats 2mm pellets, a whole mysis shrimp (takes a chomp or three) and they beat the other fish to the food even if they are on the other side of the tank :D

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
My last additions to the dt were 2 small clowns, I was so worried about them getting belted around in the flow as well as what I could get them to eat. Fully agree with Firebird and Chimaera, they are pigs! The smallest of the two eats 2mm pellets, a whole mysis shrimp (takes a chomp or three) and they beat the other fish to the food even if they are on the other side of the tank :D
Ohh k cool I will pick some pellets up tomorrow I am planning on getting the nutrafin marine pellets
And have added my live rock will post pic tomorrow :)

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Will be watching this thread with interest as my son has two of these tanks that he is keen to change over to marine!

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
Yea cheers I liked it cause it has the holes and the flat spot for coral.
Darren S the things I have added is a
. Aqua one 11w sunlight/marine blue
. Matrix
. New filter cartridge
. Crushed coral substrate
. Live rock
Hope this has helped

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
Ideas on where to put the coral?
Also let us know how much light, how high, flow rate and if you can put them on the substrate.
Thanks

iluvnanos

Jul 4, 2012
You can put some corals on the substrate but some others won't like it also medium to High flow is important for most corals

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
They could all go anywhere to be honest - all prefer lower flow. Bear in mind that the torch shouldn't touch anything including the hammer.