Tank Journal Archive

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
I am definetly getting a small pair of oscelarris clownfish
Looking at the coral goby and they r nice

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I like the green one but the yellows are great as well, seen a few of the yellows in the third pic live and they are definitely cute :). They are the more common type I think , haven't seen the one in the middle pic before.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
The little yellow ones (on the right) are my favourite by far. The green ones have a fat abnormal head :p

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
Is it rare for my tank to already have no ammonia, not nitrates and no nitrites after only having the live rock in my tank for 1week

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Depending on how live your rock is and how long it was out of water (ie how much die off there was), you may need to kickstart the cycle ... adding a raw shrimp from the fishmonger is often a favourite. Or you could pee in the tank ;)

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
The live rock that I have received was already in a marine setup and was only out of the tank for 25 mins is there any other way

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
If there wasn't too much die off I would have thought the cycle would be small but that could be just my way of thinking and wrong. Maybe add in a pinch of food or small bit of prawn and see, if the cycle was short and is over the bacteria would handle a small amount of food.

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
Well I have a hermit crab in there so I have been feeding that
So a little bit of food has been going in

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
If your live rock was from an existing system and wasn't exposed too long, you might not get much of a cycle. However I would monitor closely for another week at least to make sure.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
The tomato clown or damsel would have to be removed after the cycle s. If the live rock came from an already running tank there might not be much cycling to go through so I would use the food option. When you use a bit of food your really only doing the same thing a fish would be doing as the bacteria eat the waste products as they break down from poo or decaying food.

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
Just wondering can I add my clownfish and some more live rock at the same time because my Lfs has a ge Chrissy sale oscelarrisclownfish are $20 and $10 a kg for live rock and I was goin to add both of them on Sunday is that alright will the clownfish be alright

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
What are your parameters looking like?

Not ideal to add both at once because the live rock die off will likely cause some ammonia, triggering a cycle ... which the clownfish will have to suffer through.