Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i got it from burwood Topical Waters Aquariums they get them every 2nd or 4th week :)

+1 for yellow coral goby the greens are weird and hard to see and hide alot

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Yellow coral gobies are great... They can be a bit tricky getting them to eat. Mine wouldnt even look at NLS pellets but loved a bit of nutrafin flake but I had to break it up into tiny bits or he wouldnt touch it!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Yellow coral gobies are great... They can be a bit tricky getting them to eat. Mine wouldnt even look at NLS pellets but loved a bit of nutrafin flake but I had to break it up into tiny bits or he wouldnt touch it!
I didn't even think of this but now thinking about it they so seem they would be fussy eaters

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Mine didn't eat a thing for nearly 4 weeks! I was freaking out and then I saw him eat a bit of flake and was very relieved. I read later that the biggest risk keeping coral gobies is getting them to eat prepared foods...

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
Ph - 8.2
Ammo - idk I'm guessing 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm

What do you guys think about my ammo 0 or 0.25
My pet shop has a sale on clownfish and I was thinking of getting or two tomorrow do you guys think that they will be alright because all my nitrites and nitrates are on 0
Also what should my ph be and temp.
What do you guys have yours on
Thanks

Attachments

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
As long as the zero readings are because the tank has cycled the fish should be ok I think. I do 25% water change on my main tank each week, get yourself into a routine though so it always gets done. As far as I know water changes are always fine as long as they are small and 10% is small enough imo.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Do a fair sized water change the day before you get your fish if you can, but yeah if your readings are all zero you should be okay.

Marine4life

Oct 27, 2012
Would I be able to get a Blenny as well I was thinking a bi color
What others are nice
And when would I be able to put in my torch coral,
Maybe a toadstool leather and a hammer

iluvnanos

Jul 4, 2012
Wait 2 weeks after you put your clowns in then test and if everything us good you can add some coral and your bi colour

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
pH should be 8.0 - 8.2 and temp 25 - 26 degrees IMO.

I would get coral first personally. I would be introducing a hardy soft coral first and then leave it atleast a week, then another coral. Then I would get a fish and preferably just the one, you can always make a pair of clowns later! This size tank 3 fish is going to be really pushing the limits. Especially if you are new to marine fish keeping, you are going to need to do religious weekly water changes and keep a very, VERY close eye on your parameters as a "little" ammonia spike in 38L of water can be brutal!

As for coral, I would be adding a hardy morph or zoa species first then a torch as they are quite hardy also. If in 2 weeks the corals are expanding nicely and havent lost colour and your parameters are all in check I would think about adding a fish. Stocking a small tank like this should be a process over about 4 - 5 months IMO.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I wouldnt be too worried about testing for calc yet. If you only have the one torch at first you are goign to be able to keep up with calcium depletion with water changes.

kH/Alkalinity is only as important calc at first if there is nothing in there using them water changes will be fine. I would start testing for kH and Calc when you have more than just a couple of LPS or SPS. Some may argue that you should be testing from the start but I personally didn't and only when I started to keep multiple corals did I start testing and dosing alk.

Phosphate is good to be testing as soon as you start adding food to the tank. Also if you have live rock from an established tank you may have issues with phos leaching from the rock. Depending on how much phosphate is locked up in the rock you may need to use a phosphate removing media or you may get away with persistant water changes.