Reef Discussion

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I have started not topping up my pellet reactor, going to slowly let them run their course and shut it down. I dont know whats going on but I have GHA in my tank for the first time in 2 years, all my phos and nitrate levels are a measurable 0, can't find a cause for it at all. But my SPS color and growth are at an all time high which is good, just cant get a handle on the GHA.

Going to just go back to large water changes and a small amount of rowaphos as needed to see how it goes. Then decide from there which way I'm going to head

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
No good josh :-(

I have had a few algae pop up myself that have come in from corals I guess. The tang, Blenny and snails keep it under control. The latest it that green round leaf stuff its obviously not very healthy due to the low phos and nitrates as its grey instead of green.

I wonder wether your algae troubles though are because of your new lights instead of pellets?? My small algae annoyances I blame fully on the change from the LEDs to the T5's.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I have thought of the possibilities of the lighting being the cause, but it's only really popped up over the last month when the lights have pretty much been over the tank for 4 months. I'm just not sure of the possibilities of excess bacteria feeding the GHA? never heard any talk of it so dont know if possible, as I dont have a recirculating reactor and it empties the reactor kinda near the front of the skimmer not straight into it like everyone recommends.

I figure if it fixes it, thats it. If not I still have half a bag of pellets and a reactor there to fire up any time. I'm always willing to try different things to fix a problem

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I think ill mod my TLF reactor and give the pellets a go. Do you guys reckon starting off with about 250ml for a 1000L system?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
What ever brand you get it should give you some direction on how much, not sure if it varies between brands but for 1000ltrs I recon you would be right.

Jimsim

Nov 9, 2013
NEW SOUTH WALES
never overdose and, i was told by lfs when he first started using biopellets on his main and other small tanks he started small and gradually increased in volume over a month or 2, so less is better, cloudy water may occur, i havnt read previous posts but gl!!
James

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Question Guys , anyone able to keep blue Acros blue .
I have many Acros all doing fine (apart from one that had RTN) but the blues have almost all browned out .
They apear to still be growing and healthy but just not fricken blue any more....
I have 5 of them that only one has maintained its blue tip another has light trace of blue in it but the other have browned out...
Alk 7.5
Cal 410
Mag 1300
ph8.4
po4 0.04
S1.025
I would/should start my own thread but b4 i do just wanted to see if anyone else using bio-pellets has the same issue?

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I only have a couple small pieces at the moment but have been in there a few months and kept colour while growing. Tried moving them around to higher flow maybe up higher for more light? see if that makes a difference

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I have just moved the main peice i am concerned about down to the bottom . Not sure what I am talking about but have noticed that the blues do better lower down in the tank.......maybe just my ones...
noticed that the red sea colour program (D) targets bule/purple. Might start adding that.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Just test/ dose potassium, that would be what's in there to target blues. But I don't think potassium levels would cause browning, I have been wrong before though.

The old thought was high phos and nitrate is the cause of browning, but having seen some awesome sps tanks that are dosed with phos and kept between 0.1-0.18 that has destroyed that theory in my books.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I would check what he said ^^^ potassium is supposed to help blues a bit. Most of my blues are ok but one of the paler ones is a little hmmm not sure where its going.

I dose potassium whether that helps of not but it is found n the reef in the same concentration as calcium so I guess it's got some sort of importance in all corals. My tank certainly sucks it up.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I modded my TLF phosban 150 today and im running about 250ml of the npx pellets. I dont have any reagents left but last time i checked phos a few months ago it was 0.09. Nitrate tested at 10 today. If I get good results then ill change to a proper reactor because this one is noisy as hell!

jayellul

Sep 6, 2013
I'm running low nutrients stably now fr a few months with TLF pellets in a JNS reactor. It's going very well. I'm running 4X the recommended pellet quantity!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayellul

Sep 6, 2013
I modded my TLF phosban 150 today and im running about 250ml of the npx pellets. I dont have any reagents left but last time i checked phos a few months ago it was 0.09. Nitrate tested at 10 today. If I get good results then ill change to a proper reactor because this one is noisy as hell!
If you're talking about the rattling sound I'm pretty sure they will all make that sound to some extent. However, the tlf150 is far from an ideal reactor :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Here is some good info. They are talking about the reef dynamics reactor but a bit about pellets in general to....

@RobbieMVFC this is my first time using them but as long as they are all moving I'd say a slower tumble is better than a fast when you don't have control of how much effluent is leaving the reactor.

Hangin to get mine cranking the pellets are soaking till Friday morning then its on!!!!
Great link Sarg :worship

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
We'll be going with a RD pellet reactor for our big systems - was grabbing one off someone on another forum but they dropped it while cleaning it :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

Having never had the toys on my tanks before it will be interesting to see if the addition of one assists with keeping SPS and coloration of other corals.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
We'll be going with a RD pellet reactor for our big systems - was grabbing one off someone on another forum but they dropped it while cleaning it :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

Having never had the toys on my tanks before it will be interesting to see if the addition of one assists with keeping SPS and coloration of other corals.
I was at @Sarg 's house the other day and noticed his bio pellet rector. He was saying that he could never really keep sps before but with the reactor he's got some very nice sps in there now :)

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I was at @Sarg 's house the other day and noticed his bio pellet rector. He was saying that he could never really keep sps before but with the reactor he's got some very nice sps in there now :)
Nice! I'm having a squiz tonight as well - they look to be a solid investment especially seeing how vpreef keeps such little equipment going with such amazing results.