Tank Journal Archive

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
looks good .. are u going to keep that white perspex bracket on the left attached? that was put there for shipping so the sump doesnt lift . u might find the u can shift the sump more to the left .there are 2 little corner brackets fitted to the cabinet floor so it sits on place .. dont try it full of water of course hah

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Pretty happy with the water clarity I already have, even after dumping water in it this morning and rummaging through the sand with my hands.

IMG_4882.jpg

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
The skimmer is I too deep try to raise it by putting somethin underneath it. I use a plastic basket/container from bunnings. Something that has holes in it.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
looks good .. are u going to keep that white perspex bracket on the left attached? that was put there for shipping so the sump doesnt lift . u might find the u can shift the sump more to the left .there are 2 little corner brackets fitted to the cabinet floor so it sits on place .. dont try it full of water of course hah
I've taken out the middle one. I might do with the left hand one, the screws will rust if I leave it.

Anything else you notice from the pic that might need removing or fixing? I'm hoping the little filter tray is suppose to be on top of the white filter wool(on top of the black media) like I have it.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
The skimmer is I too deep try to raise it by putting somethin underneath it. I use a plastic basket/container from bunnings. Something that has holes in it.
How high roughly? Do you have a pic?

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
yea ur right they rust ..that filter wool is ok like that .. once ur return is running youll find that it stays pushed down abit becuase of the flow through..
did u work out ur electricals? like how u are going to place all the cables .. oh man theres a lot of them once you have all the equipment in there . maybe have a think about it incase u need to attach power boards and all the rest.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Also the skimmer probably isn't doing much because there isn't much in the water for it to skim out.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
yea ur right they rust ..that filter wool is ok like that .. once ur return is running youll find that it stays pushed down abit becuase of the flow through..
did u work out ur electricals? like how u are going to place all the cables .. oh man theres a lot of them once you have all the equipment in there . maybe have a think about it incase u need to attach power boards and all the rest.
So far I've got them sorted as below. The cords are a bit mixed up, but otherwise, it's in a semi sort of order. I will attach some labelling to each chord so that I know which plug is which, but for now I'm going off memory. I've allowed myself a few extra sockets for future additions to my downstairs mix-up.

IMG_4883.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Just one thing, don't worry about your skimmer 'skimming' just yet ... there's nothing for it to skim so far. Once you have some live rock in there curing, then fiddle with the skimmer to get it working right.

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
O
So far I've got them sorted as below. The cords are a bit mixed up, but otherwise, it's in a semi sort of order. I will attach some labelling to each chord so that I know which plug is which, but for now I'm going off memory. I've allowed myself a few extra sockets for future additions to my downstairs mix-up.

View attachment 15585
Oh great looks good :) I was concerned because I know what it looks like in there space wise lol

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Help!

Skimmer has been running all day, and now all of a sudden it's started making a 'whirring' sound, like it's got air running through it, so I've turned it off. It's been under water all arvo, humming along nicely, and now for some reason is making quite a bit of noise.

Any ideas?

turned it back on after 5 mins, the noise almost got filtered out, like it was a n air bubble being worked through.
Strangely though, now it sounds like the pump is pulsing, rahter than working constantly. I'm not sure if it was always doing this or not. Second guessing myself.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Oscar came around for a look. Looks like the pump on the Skimmer is not getting the job done.

I have a pretty weak stream of bubbles, compared to what is shown here.
http://www.tunze.com/183.html?&L=1&C=IS

So what I thought was it working fine today, was actually it not working properly at all.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Cosby is going to run the skimmer in salt water over night and see if the bubble performance changes. Still not sure if its the pump or that its in fresh water but not much is happening when its on. :D Only the test will tell.
All the best.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Ok, false alarm. Smack the n00b in the back of the head.

The skimmer is working. What it was trying to do was skim in freshwater, which as some of you may know gives a completely different result. Or in my case a non-result.

After skimming the my kitchen sink all night I see that the bubbles although not all the way up the chamber are still separate the crud from the water.

Just got off the phone to Richard at Bunrong and he reiterated that as long as the pump is working, the reaction that I'm looking for will not occur until some Live rock has been added.

Right now it's just humming along again, only this time I've added my salt to the tank, so it's got some work to do. :)

Thanks to @OSCAR85 for coming and having a look last night too, and helping me out a heap. Have I mentioned how great this forum is?

Cosby

May 14, 2013
@Cosby You are very welcome. Happy to help anytime. i think you should come around sometime if your free and you can pic my brain for an hr, I will show you my tank routine.
Sundays are good for me.
Yep, the fiance is keen to see your tank as well.

I'll make sure to bring around a pen and paper to write down all your dosing and water treatments!

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Ok, so the first 20kgs of Live Rock is in the tank.

I gave it a good clean, stripped it of most of its growth and found a few hitchhikers that I've given the challenge of surviving the cycle(I like critters).
3 stars, 4 bristleworms(one about 15cm long) 2 crabs now in my sump, and two shrimp, which I think may be pistol shrimp.

Have just put the rocks in quickly without any great care or set up, as I was starting to run out of time before I had to get to work.

Will post pics soon.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
So this is how I left the tank this Arvo. Scape to be played with as more rock is added.image.jpg