Tank Journal Archive

Cosby

May 14, 2013
A few pics of the critters who've come along for the ride. Hopefully some of you learned folks can I.D them for me.

Pistol Shrimp?
image.jpg

Bristle Worm?
image.jpg

Harmless?
image.jpg

Sump buddies.
image.jpg

Hopefully pics are working now.

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Yup looks like a pistol shrimp and 2nd one is bristle worm.

Not sure about that little star fish. Have seen it before in other peoples tank.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
I'm not sure my other half understood the context when I rang her this Arvo and told I had crabs.

She wasn't very amused with me uknowingly using her toothbrush to clean the rock, either.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
The crab at the top is a 'hoof footed crab" and will be EXCEPTIONALLY usefull at grazing down algae when it grows. The are obligate vegetatians
I was hoping you might wander in here and give me a little info on my new friends. :)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
your new friends are:
Richards Pistol Shrimp (these will seek out and distroy mantis shrimp)
Polychete worm (general scavanger, however large indiciduals will kill and eat coral and fish)
Brittle star (general detrivore and beneficial in a tank)
Crabs (dark one is an algaevore, bottome light coloured one should go into your sump)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
yes, appears to be.
I know that most people over-stress about eucnid worms, but would you recommend removal if the opportunity arises? This seems like a fairly large specimen already and you wouldn't want to wonder when a prized goby or other fish went missing?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I know that most people over-stress about eucnid worms, but would you recommend removal if the opportunity arises? This seems like a fairly large specimen already and you wouldn't want to wonder when a prized goby or other fish went missing?[/quote

]yes, is able to, remove. Large worms have large appities and if suffieicnt food is not provided, they wiull turn of fish and corals

Cosby

May 14, 2013
I know that most people over-stress about eucnid worms, but would you recommend removal if the opportunity arises? This seems like a fairly large specimen already and you wouldn't want to wonder when a prized goby or other fish went missing?
My little friend will be coming out tomorrow.