Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Animals are:
Convex reef crab (Carpilius convexus)
Gold ringed cowrie (Monetaria annulus)
Red mouthed banded whelk (Engina zonalis)
Hoof clawed reef crab (Cyclodius ungulatus).

Best to remove the whelk. All others are benificial
the 2 crab species have toxic flesh (ie they have black tips to the claws that indicate that they are toxic) and will be relatively safe in the aquarium even with fish species that usually prey upon crab species. These crabs are generally herbivores

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
I aint no expert but it looks like some form of porite

edit: sorry posted on the earlier page where you first aked the question.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Have changed the scape slightly. Looking for my 'light shelves' that will eventually be used for coral placement. No doubt I'll change it again at some point, but for now this is how it looks.

IMG_5019.JPG

Cosby

May 14, 2013
looks good mate, did you make the waves in the sand or is the powerhead etc doing that?
It could be my own doing, but I have noticed the sand moving about with the flow of the tank, in relation to my rock placement.

Originally, I had the back corner running completely bare of sand as the return outlet was pushing water straight back into the back left hand corner and flowing down the glass, forcing the sand away.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
no, just that it might be running higher than it needs to if it is blowing sand around :)
I'm going to give the rocks a bit of a toothbrushing this morning, so I'll level the sand out and take note if the waves re-appear after an hour or so.

I think I may have caused them myself.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
So with the moonlight phase in place, I decided to have a squiz at my tank before going to bed, and when I peered into the tank, right at the top of the highest rock formation I have, I see this Alien-like creature, perched upon my rock.

As if it was winking at me, the white of the cowrie shell disappeared as the fleshy part if the cowrie somehow managed to fully engulf the entire shell, while also protruding small stems or tentacles, like spikes from its flesh.

I tried really hard to get a decent pic, which was proving impossible with my trusty iPhone 4. So I grabbed the fiancé's iPhone 5, and managed to snap this below (which is still horrible, but much better than nothing, and much better than anything I could take).

image.jpg

I'd never seen anything like it before. And when I thought I might try and take a shot with a flash, the spikey flesh opened up just slightly, to show the white of the shell once more, like an awakening eye but without the pupil or iris.

I'm now on a google hunt to find out why my cowrie was doing its little Halloween skit, and if it will do it again.

I'll also be researching a DSLR.

Edit: Here's a much better picture of what I saw, that I just found. And what I didn't know was that this is how they look when they are eating, as they are nocturnal.

Mum was right. You do learn something every day.

amolluscs.at_images_weichtiere_schnecken_c_annulus.jpg