Tank Journal Archive

Hookyboy

Apr 4, 2013
You mentioned a spike it could be a cone snail , and some of which are deadly to all life especially humans. Be cautious .

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
deffinatly not a cone snail lol, its just its mantle that has little spikes, i have one in my tank, completely harmless and feeds off coraline algae :) @dr_schell could probably tell you more

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Yeah, he's all good. We're like brothers already, Colin Cowrie and I. ;)

Picked myself up a Cannon EOS 600D today. I look forward to taking some decent pics.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
So, just settling in to the new DSLR. @OSCAR85 has dropped around some live rock and sponge to help me through the cycle today.

Have tried to upload some pics that I've taken in the last 24 hours, but they are huge. Will re-scale and re-post.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Shouldn't be too far off adding a CUC in the next week or so.

At this stage, and with I believe to be in the tank already( if they've survived the cycle), I will have....

3x stromb snails
2X turbo snails
1x orange footed hermit crab
1x Cowrie
2x hoof-footed crab
4x bristle stars

In time I want to add some Blood Shrimp, and an Anenome(porcelain) Crab.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
@dr_schell or anyone able to give me an I.D on this little guy, which has popped up in the last 24 hours.

I'm still in the nitrite phase, and have quite a bit of red algae growth, but this guy really stands out under the blues( but is still the green/yellow in white light when I turn it on). I've also noticed that it's moving slowly down the rock.

IMG_0164.jpg

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
looks like a form of nudibranch, although cannot clearly discern the anterior portion. Many nudibranch that feed on corals, particularly soft corals look like this. Additional photos may result in a more conclusive ID

@dr_schell or anyone able to give me an I.D on this little guy, which has popped up in the last 24 hours.

I'm still in the nitrite phase, and have quite a bit of red algae growth, but this guy really stands out under the blues( but is still the green/yellow in white light when I turn it on). I've also noticed that it's moving slowly down the rock.

View attachment 16170
Some nudibranch mimic their food source with such accuracy, it is difficult to tell them form the coral upon which they feed. Below is an image of a nudibranch that feeds on Xenia. There is no Xenia in the image below (photo taken from the web), just the Nudibranch and its eggs.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/12/inverts_album/Phyllodesmium-sp-zenia-minic.jpg